Welcome to ToTG!



July 17, 2007

Parnell

(click photo for larger view)



I was driving along Hwy 70 last week and decided to detour down Farm-to-Market road 283. I hadn't been down that road in over 20 years, I believe.

I stopped and took a photo of this historical marker; it tells of a town that used to exist just to the east of the spot. If you'll view the larger photo, you will be able to read how there was a controversy over where the county courthouse would be located. I think that's a pretty common history for a lot of areas in Texas and even through this country... men with property wanting to make their property more valuable by siting the govt. nearby or making sure the railroad went through the nearest town.

(Roberts County map - Parnell is nearly dead center in that graphic)

While reading the plaque, I noticed a bird had pooped all over "Miami". That must have been a Briscoe bird. On the other hand - claw?- the mess is also on "contested elections".

That'd be a liberal bird, still squawking.

No comments: