Welcome to ToTG!



July 31, 2007

Want a little nip?



I think that's what was asked of the white mule walking up to the fence on the far right, maybe not verbally but with body gestures. The mule in the middle apparently had some sort of issues with the other because about two seconds after I took this the brown mule gave the white one a viscious bite on the neck. I felt sorry for the smaller animal; all he wanted to do was join the party. (I was pulling weeds and feeding them, they love 'em)

After throwing some vegetation over the fence to distract it, I walked down the fence a-ways and fed the other mule. It didn't get to eat much as the mean mule saw what was going on, and quickly trotted over and, with gnashing of domino-sized molars, it chased the other one away.

I left, as I didn't want to get caught up in this domesticated violence.

It doesn't matter what it is: mule, cat, dog, hog or frog, when they have their ears pinned back, it's Katy bar the door. I've had mine pinned back FOR me before, but I don't think I'll tell those particular stories.

Sorry, I'M going to be a little stubborn about that. Don't press me about it; watch my ears!

Taken at the horse lot west of the Pampa city limits.

3 comments:

Barb said...

Not too many folks own mules around here so I always love your pictures of them.

And yup you sure can tell a lot about animals by the set of their ears and their over all body language.

Mike said...

You know something? While I was out there at the horse lots that day, I saw several horses/donkeys/mules/whatever that were criminally malnourished. I thought about taking some photos and sending to the paper, but never did. To be honest, it broke my heart and there was also this Texas tradition of mindin' yer own bidness, but I sure should've spoken up.

To make a long story short, someone DID take photos, turn them in, there was an article in the local news just the other day. The problem was that the lots are just outside the city limits, the city animal control couldn't do anything. The sheriff seized the animals and they are now being properly cared for.

It's more kind to an animal, IMO, to just shoot them in the head if you can't take care of them, give them away, whatever, rather than to let them go hungry and stay sick/diseased. I cannot think of a single excuse for mistreating an animal.

Here's the URL, sorry but you'll have to C&P it:

http://www.thepampanews.com/articles/2007/07/27/news/1news.txt

Mike said...

http://www.thepampanews.com/
articles/2007/07/27/news/1news.txt