Welcome to ToTG!



August 16, 2007

Duke & Lil' Trigger

I was driving around the horse lot west of the Pampa city limits and was looking to my left when I heard the unmistakable sound of a bloodhound from the right of my vehicle. Sure 'nuff, there he was on the other side of the road.



He LOOKS to me to be at least a good bit of bloodhound and he sounded like one; I don't recall my dad ever owning one, but he had hunting dogs, both bird and 'coon.

I wasn't for sure if he'd let me pet him or if he'd be protective of his territory and want to hang a fang in me.

I got close and he "bayed" for me, that deep, hoarse mixture of a bark and a bellow.



He was wagging his tail, but....



He almost licked me to death, he was so glad to have someone to pay attention to him. I'll have to remember to bring him a chew bone next time I'm there. It makes me sad, because I know dogs get lonely too. Been there, done that, doggonnit.


I don't blame him for being lonely, because his only company in the pen was this anti-social billy goat who bleated his disapproval of the dog fraternizing with strangers. Being downwind of this billy was no treat for the dog, I'm sure, because the brown stain on his chin whiskers is where he pees on them.



At least the ol' dog had SOME company; in the pen next to him was a Shetland Pony.



The poor thing was skittish and I found out why; he was blind in one eye and could sense me on that side of him. (on the left, his right eye if you'll click the following pic for a larger view)


As long as he could see me, he stayed calm.

I'm not for sure if the horse was extra-small or the bloodhound was extra-large.


Duke & Lil' Trigger, that's what I named 'em.

Dunno where the rest of the Clampetts were; probably out at the cement pond.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I read several of these posts with the animal pictures, and I just loved them!