Welcome to ToTG!



August 16, 2007

Fightin' Chickens

Wished I had been able to get in there and take some close-ups of these beautiful "game cocks". I wouldn't "besmirch" the reputation of the man who owns these chickens, but I suspect they're really "fighting chickens". Be that as it may, and no matter what one thinks of that practice (banned in 49 of the 50 states, I believe--I will come back and verify that) they are still gorgeous creatures.

Since I couldn't get too close to them, I had to use some telephoto. I caught this one in mid-crow.



That's not hard to do - catch one in mid-crow - because there were at least two dozen or more roosters in the lot and they were ALL crowing. Not five seconds went by without a crow, it must really be loud out there when the sun comes up and all that chicken testosterone gets to flowing.

The birds I wanted to photograph, the ones closest to the fence, were scared of me. Some roosters aren't scared of anything; I used to work for a man who raised (and fought) them and he had a particularly mean hen that used to attack me every chance she got when I helped him feed and water. She wasn't sneaky and ambushed like some of the meaner roosters would do, but would see me and come running down the row, kamikazee-style. The pecks were annoying, but a chicken can really "gaffe" and it hurts. My boss thought that hilarious and even moreso when he and his wife invited me over for a Sunday lunch and we had her with dumplings. The chicken, not the wife.

She was a little stringy, but I would've expected that anyway. The chicken, not the wife.

I've seen all sorts of "houses" and these are pretty good ones, cut out of some sort of barrel and plenty of room for the rooster to roost on the top.



The first rooster didn't have an enclosure; perhaps he was tethered up outside of one for the off-chance that a hen might come within the rope's distance.

From all the loose chickens running around, and esp. the little ones, I'd say that's probably the plan.

No comments: