Welcome to ToTG!



August 16, 2007

Maybe My Mule

I've got a few favorite "friends" out at the horse lots. I like this mule; he's colorful, friendly and doesn't bite and appreciates the weeds I feed him.



He also holds still, even posing while I take his photograph.



He likes the treats, but I think he's lonely and wants my company. I can talk to him and sometimes he'll shut his eyes. That might be because my voice grates on his nerves, I dunno.



Had a long-haired donkey come over to see what was going on, but a quick nip on the flanks by my pal sent the shaggy interloper on towards the other side of the pen. I was flattered that someone would be jealous of me, it's been a long time since ANYONE was interested...


I swear, his body language seemed as though he was trying to draw my attention towards something, and sure 'nuff, he finally got me pointed in the right direction.



"Uh, you DID get that phone number, right?"


Y'know, I bet he'd be a better mouse catcher than the Beej. He'd at least stomp on the bugs.

Wonder how much a mule costs?

2 comments:

Barb said...

I ownder too. All these mule pictures make me want one!

Mike said...

Y'know, this one might well be a girl mule or jenny or whatever it is they're called. It's certainly a handsome creature, whatever it is and you can see from the eyes that it's intelligent.

I feel so sorry for some of these animals; it's also the reason I prefer to own a cat (or be owned by one, I guess would be) because unless you keep them inside w/out any stimulii, they can pretty much amuse themselves.

Dogs, being a smart animal, just as are these mules, I reckon, need to be entertained, need some sort of interaction. I know they're (the equines) herd animals, but I would think there's some tremendous stress involved with being in a small pen with more other animals than should be in there with it.

This is a pretty "mule" or whatever the heck it is, beautiful coloration to it. I will have to -ahem- look a little closer to see if it's a boy or girl the next time I'm out there.

(and that's another thing, too--I was out there just after five o'clock and I guess folks were out there feeding just after getting off work and they sure were eyeballin' me, esp. after someone took pics of some malnourished horses out there. I didn't see them like I did the first time I was out there, so I guess the county still has possession, they were seized until the owner showed financial responsibility.)