Welcome to ToTG!



August 9, 2007

More Horses

Took a little road trip down to Miami and points beyond and couldn't resist taking some more horse photos. There was a herd of about eight just past the cemetery but these were the closest.

I parked, got out and walked over to the fenceline, but was ignored for a minute or two.



Curiosity got the better of a couple and they came over to investigate.



A quick nip showed who was boss, and soon it was just me and the boss.



They were really pretty, very healthy looking. I don't know much about horseflesh (or about much at all, having no horse sense) but these are being cared for very well.



Today was very hot, right at 100 deg. The fields were fairly green and lush because of the recent rains.

Got down on my knees to take a shot looking up at him with the beautiful cloudy sky in the background... and he came down with me, eye-to-eye.

"Hey dude, what are you doin'?"



He wasn't mean and he's one of the few horses I've photographed that act like they're disappointed I have a camera in my hand instead of a bridle. He even tolerated me petting him, but I'm always so tentative, I think they can sense my fear. I don't care, I want to keep my fingers, the ol' drillin' rigs didn't get any of 'em.

They're beautiful creatures.



4 comments:

Barb said...

They sure do look fat, glossy and well tended.
Nice pics

Mike said...

I started to go up and see if the owners were home; I know them but not for sure they'd be overjoyed to see me. I'm sure they'd be courteous, though, and prob. pleased with some of the photos.

It was just so darned hot, was unbelieveable. It was one of those days with a late afternoon tstorm where the low temp. came AFTER the high temp! It was near 100 deg. and part of that glossy sheen was sweat, a thin layer of lather. These guys didn't smell too bad, but that other wise-cracking horse in the other post was sure a stinker.

Mike said...

I was exploring the settings on my idiot-proof camera (and boy, did I ever prove THEM wrong!) and found a "backlighting" function that I bet might take better photos in such bright sunshine.

Laura said...

Love these horse photos. Very nice.