Welcome to ToTG!



March 24, 2008

Blueberries with Wings

When I first started this blog, I thought it would be fun to do "reviews" of my favorite eating establishments here in town. The reviews would be tongue-in-cheek, because if I didn't like the food, I wouldn't eat at them.

When talking about places to eat in Pampa, the logical place to begin would be at the Coney Island. It's a local icon and the first place most college students on break or former residents head when they return to visit.



Local legend maintains that Woody Guthrie worked there (before it was the Coney) and performed and wrote some of his most famous songs there. The Gikas brothers owned it until a few years ago, and were famous for their ill tempers and public lambasting of the waitresses when they screwed up an order. (no tickets were written, the orders were yelled out by the waitresses and woe be unto the poor woman who didn't follow their strict instructions)

As was said, it's changed hands, and the best thing about the new ownership is that it's ever so much cleaner than it was with the previous owners. (they were too busy yelling to clean the bathroom and kitchen, I guess)

Some people rave about the food, but I believe it's no worse, no better than most any other place of its type. They serve a limited menu: hamburgers, hot dogs (coneys), chili and stew, but I'll stipulate that the pies are among the best I've ever sampled. (chocolate and lemon are my favorites)

I took my camera down there so I could take photos of my order, but I was too late to get my normal pick of pie and had to settle for what was left. I never had eaten the blueberry pie, so that's what I ordered.

I was served, and I arranged the food for my shot; nothing spectacular, but I would wager that anyone who has eaten there would recognize what I had: "two on one, deluxe ham" with the blueberry pie. (hey, I was HUNGRY!) Before I found out I was diabetic, it would've been a strawberry soda to drink, but now I settle for Diet Coke.



I snapped a few shots, decided they were good enough and started to chow down.

It wasn't until I got home and was wondering which of the photos were the best that I noticed something on my ham sandwich.



That was either a fly, or blueberries have wings.

2 comments:

Alison said...

wow ,looking at that food made me hungry , well I would pass on the fly pie , lol..... I am trying to decide who have the bigger appetites, Greeks or Americans ?

Mike said...

It's pretty good, most of the time. Depends on who's cookin', and what time of day, all that, y'know? Some folks have off days on their jobs; mine came at a regular clip, anyway.

People I've spoken to are split on whether it's better now or for the dozens and dozens of years the Gikas brothers owned it. People still flock to the place, and good luck on finding a place at noontime, esp. on Saturdays.

I don't have much experience with Greeks (although I think the Gikas' were Greek, come to think of it, but it wasn't "chee-burgah, Pepsi, Pepsi, ala Sat. Night Live)

BUT

From what I know, I'd say Americans have bigger appetites for food, almost to the point of gluttony in lots of cases, but Greeks probably have a larger appetite for life.

Like I said, though, I don't know much about Greeks, other than thumbing through a few cruise ship brochures and watching Zorba the Greek with my ex-wife too many times.