Welcome to ToTG!



June 10, 2008

Incest to the Test

No, not anything to do w/ "My Sister's Feet". I'm sure this title will bring the weirdos outta the woodwork when Google indexes this post.

A couple of years ago, I signed up for the Yahoo Personals, a matchmaking service. It was frustrating not being able to contact my matches with the free version, so I paid for a six months subscription.

I didn't have much luck, to put it mildly. I got a few dozen replies and even had an email relationship with a few of the women. I had written in my profile I wanted to take it slow and know from personal experience that it's not hard to get to know someone even if I've not met them in person. (People's words say so much about them, you see.) Some of the email relationships didn't last long; a couple of my matches weren't satisfied with my cautious attitude and wanted to meet without getting to know each other first.

That wasn't what I wanted, not by a long shot. I truly believe that appearances aren't all that important. (I certainly wanted my matches to feel that way!)

I had one woman tell me straight out "I need it, I need it BAD." I'm not put-off by agressive women, and perhaps a sex-starved woman might be the ideal match for SOME men, but not for me. To say something like that to a total stranger goes way beyond the pale, wouldn't you agree? I hope that woman is all right today, and didn't get strangled by the Texas version of Jack the Ripper.

(What would one take to a first meeting with a woman such as that? Flowers, candy or a pail of water? Certainly one would want to take condoms, the thickest they make)

(and besides that, hooking up with a nymphomaniac would be, IMHO, just like owning a bar; it'd be fun for a little while....)

A couple of others must have not read my profile because they asked me if I smoked (it was on my profile) and when I told them I did, told me that wasn't acceptable and one even said "You'll just have to quit, then." I wanted to meet her just so I could have a pipe, a cigar and a cigarette crammed in my mouth and then could blow smoke in her face.

Another woman and I exchanged emails for several weeks and I thought everything was going A-OK. I was to the point where I thought I might like to meet her in person. Things fell apart when the topic of one mail was "What do you like to read?" She said she read her Bible (a good thing!) but when I mentioned that I loved the Harry Potter series...well, all of a sudden I was the Anti-Christ. Sheesh.

I had signed up for weekly notifications, and I knew the end of this experiment was near when I was matched up with a woman I had dated several years ago; we had a very rocky relationship and my family didn't like her, my friends didn't like her and to be honest, I really didn't like her much. It was by far the worst relationship I have ever been in.

(her profile was full of lies; her age, her natural hair color and how many times she had been married. I understood her lies about her own disposition because any sane man would've run from the truth.)

So, when the six months subscription was over, I figured it certainly wasn't worth another $79.95 to match up with nutjobs, nymphos and holier-than-thou religious wackos.

If I want to get beat-up, I'll just go to a biker bar, walk in and loudly say "Harley-Davidson? Ain't that some kinda Japanese motor-sicle?"

For some reason ( I guess I was bored ) I recently put up another profile, but kept getting it rejected. (I wasn't descriptive enough for the service, go figger) I did, however, get the email with my first match.

It was my cousin.

I've deleted my profile.

3 comments:

garazon said...

With titles like these I have a feeling that Feedjit Widget is going to be having a workout soon! LOL Well I can relate to your experiences with those big name Personals sites. And believe it or not one of my matches on Yahoo was a first cousin also! LOL should have been a sign I guess. Well I Joined them places really just trying to get myself in the frame of mind to start dating and it seemed a way to get used to the idea without having to actually go out with anyone face to face for a while. I did meet a couple of people I emailed a few times, but there was never anything remotely coming across as being of romantic interest, and I wasn't looking for that anyway, just someone to talk to and maybe share experiences. Well I ran into a few just like you mentioned, some very eager to meet anyone I think!And a few overly persistent. well even before the time came to renew the subscription I canceled. I actually had joined Match as well and the results were just the same, and I got to believing the online dating thing wasnt for me. but I did meet a few nice ones for the record, but none I would have chosen to actually meet face to face, just no interest really other than some nice conversations.
Well one evening I just had it in mind to delete all my profiles from everywhere, and when I got to the last one, American singles i think it was.. it was an affiliated sort of site and it popped up a list of specialized dating services, among them was one called Christian Mingle.. well something (the hand of God is they way I see it)told me to try that one and as you know the rest is history! :) And it really was love at first sight with Alison! :) Well the name Christian Mingle may sound as it could be a holier than thou place, but its not, or wasn't in my experience. Of course any public site like this will have its share of that sort and some not evening pretending to be even remotely having a Christian nature, but overall most were honest and open and I just found it a nice place. it has a basic free service like the others but to email of course requires a subscription too, but it seems to me it was a much more reasonable fee for 6 months than the big name sites were. Won't hurt to give that place a try.. it was like night and day in comparison to Yahoo and Match... ;)
And for me it was heaven! :)

sharintexas said...

I still can't help but dissolve in giggles every time I think about you looking eagerly to see who they matched you with and finding "her." If that's the results you get.....I'll stay single, thanks. We don't have too many single male cousins, so maybe I'd be safe. I think you should try the site garazon suggested, Mike. Sounds like he and Alison found a good thing. But, I still think I'll stay single.

Mike said...

I met one of the sweetest persons in the world in a chat room. (elle)

I remember my mom calling me one Sunday, asking me where I'd been the previous day; she was wanting me to come out for lunch.

"Oh, I was at the Derrick (local bar), momma." I told her.

"Why on earth would you be there? You don't even drink!" she replied.

"Was tryin' to find a woman, mom." I thought the truth was best.

"You'll never find a GOOD woman there, son." she admonished. "You need to go to church, find a woman there."

Hmmm, I thought. She's got a point. So, I started going to church with my folks.

There were some single women there; I think the youngest was about 83.