Welcome to ToTG!



June 11, 2008

A Rather Queer Email

Just got this in my inbox, and forgive me for the title, but I wanted to draw attention to this:



Texas Coach speaks out

Jim Neugent is a coach in Childress , Texas .

Jim writes: My name is Jim Neugent. I wrote to ABC (on-line) concerning a program called 'THE PRACTICE.' In last nights episode, one of the lawyer's mothers decided she is gay and wanted her son to go to court and help her get a marriage license so she could marry her 'partner.' I sent the following letter to ABC yesterday and really did not expect a reply, but I did get one.

My original message was:

ABC is obsessed with the subject of homosexuality. I will no longer watch any of your attempts to convince the world that homosexuality is OK. ' THE PRACTICE' can be a fairly good show, but last night's program was so typical of your agenda. You picked the 'dufus' of the office to be the one who was against the idea of his mother being gay, and made him look like a whiner because he had convictions.

This type of mentality calls people like me a 'gay basher.' Read the first chapter of Romans (that's in the Bible) and see what the apostle Paul had to say about it.... He, God and Jesus were all 'gay bashers'. What if she'd fallen in love with her cocker spaniel? Is that an alternative life style? (By the way, the Bible speaks against that, too.)

--Jim Neugent

Here is ABC's reply from the ABC on-line webmaster:

How about getting your nose out of the Bible (which is ONLY a book of stories compiled by MANY different writers hundreds of years ago) and read the declaration of independence (what our nation is built on), where it says 'All Men are Created equal,' and try treating them that way for a change! Or better yet, try thinking for yourself and stop using an archaic book of stories as your lame crutch for your existence. You are in the minority in this country, and your boycott will not affect us at ABC or our freedom of statement.

Jim Neugent's second response to ABC:

Thanks for your reply. From your harsh reply, evidently I hit a nerve. I will share it with all with whom I come in contact. Hopefully, the Arkansas Democrat Newspaper will include it in one of their columns and I will be praying for you.

Jim Neugent

Note: Wouldn't Satan just love it if people stopped using the Bible for a crutch? Please resend this to everyone in your mailbox. Thanks , Jim Neugent

I wonder if the person from ABC considered how many people would read this e-mail! This is one we should definitely pass on.




I generally just delete these things from my inbox, but I couldn't let this one go. I started to BCC everyone on the original mail, something like a hundred people (which is ironic, considering the last part of my reply)

(Oddly enough, one of the CC's was a mike at michaelmooreDOTcom I'm NOT going to give him a link from here, NO WAY)

Here's my reply:




According to Snopes, that's a true story, but not the ENTIRE story.

Here's the rest, from the website:


It didn't take long, through the power of the press and the Internet, before Mr. Neugent's message and the ABC webmaster's reply were causing a stir all over the country. ABC, after having investigated the matter, sent Mr. Neugent an official apology:

Dear Mr. Neugent:

We apologize for the e-mail message that was sent to you with comments that reflect neither the view of ABC nor of its executives. Viewer mail is traditionally handled by our Audience Information department for response. Your message was inappropriately handled by a programmer from ABC.com. I want to assure you that the response that you received does not in any way reflect the views of ABC Television, and most importantly is not at all consistent with the manner in which KATV, our valued partner in Little Rock, would ever treat their audience/community members.

Unfortunately, as in any organization, there are bound to be a few individuals that step out of line. To that end, we completed a comprehensive investigation into the matter earlier this afternoon. While the individual was deeply contrite and wanted to apologize to you, we felt that his actions were reprehensible and terminated him immediately.

Specifically in response to your original concerns regarding the subject of homosexuality in our programming, the ABC programming department has tried to treat such subjects in a sensitive manner. We recognize that we are serving a large, diverse audience with a wide range of attitudes towards all types of entertainment programming. We believe that programs thoughtfully reflecting social issues existing in our present society constitute proper television faire. We appreciate your original comments and take serious note of your thoughts on the potential direction of future story lines.

We are glad that you brought the e-mail incident to our attention. We truly regret that this happened, and we hope you understand by our actions that we will not tolerate this kind of behavior from any member of our staff.

Finally, I would like to once again add that the response that you received should in no way be attributed to our partner in Little Rock, KATV. As you well know, KATV has been the news and public affairs leader in Little Rock for years, and will be for many more. A finer, more committed television station does not exist. I would not want their reputation to suffer in any way due to our mishap.

Please accept our apologies and regrets.

Sincerely,

Daren Benzi
ABC Television Network



I put in some more "debunker" links:




More at these links:

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/rudeabc.html

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blneugent.htm

http://www.truthminers.org/abc.htm

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoaxdetails.asp?HName=ABC+Response+to+Jim+Neugent

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/a/abc-practice.htm

http://www.bighoaxes.com/hoaxe_12_247.html

There are dozens more, and one person...who lives in Childress...says there never was a Coach Neugent at that school.

I understand why people would be upset, though. I know what the Bible says, but I also think that God makes each and all of us exactly what we are...in other words, I think people are "born gay". Personally, I think that's a hurdle God has given those people to overcome, just as He has chosen to give other people severe handicaps at birth. (why would God make me nearsighted? I don't dwell on it, because He promises us these things will be revealed to us someday)

I wouldn't argue against the premise that they have something mentally "wrong" with them, because who in their right mind would choose that lifestyle? A lifestyle that could cause them to lose their friends and family when they find out, a lifestyle that sets them apart in "normal" society, a lifestyle that can get them beaten and sometimes murdered for their sexual proclivities. To me, a fairly new and definitely rough-edged Christian, that attitude of hating gays and wishing them dead is anything but Christian.

Then again, I'm secure in knowing just who and what I am, pathetic as that might be in other's eyes. I've always thought that folks that protested the most just might have some doubts about their own sexual orientation.

Granted, gays don't help their cause by marching in the streets in San Francisco, displaying their "perversions" for all the world to see, but I have known quite a few gay people personally and for the most part, they're honest, caring Americans, and as such, deserve the same rights as do the rest of us. (I know some gay guys who are certainly more "manly" that are many straight guys) I guess my beliefs stem from being of a libertarian bent; i.e. I think govt. has absolutely NO BUSINESS in our homes and particularly our bedrooms. I also think the govt. has no right regulating marriage for gays...or for straights either, for that matter.

None of us are born perfect; it's the quest for perfection, our life-long attempt to walk in Jesus' path, that makes us Christians.

Did you know that incidences of gay teen suicide are on the order of three times that of straight teens? Have you ever had to justify your own existence, wonder why the majority of society hates you? How would you like to live a half-life in the shadows of society, ejected from your family for something you feel you have no control over? How would you like to constantly search your soul for redemption and be told by so-called "Christians" that you have absolutely no chance at entering the Kingdom of Heaven?

(to me, adultery is by far the worse sin; you've lied to yourself, you've lied to your spouse and worse yet, you've broken your sacred wedding vows and lied to God. You've managed to destroy your own life, your family's and damaged at least one other family. I DEFY you to tell me that being gay is worse than that. )

Ever wondered how many people are gay? Kinsey said it was 1 in 10, but that's been debunked and most "scientific" surveys put the number at around 3%. Do you have 100 friends? Most of us do and we're blessed to have that many. Stop and think, though, just how many of that 100 are gay. You might say "none" but the odds are that at least three ARE gay...but you don't know who they are for sure and they'll never tell you because of society's attitude --YOUR attitude-- towards gays.

I quit watching The Practice long before it went off the air, not because of any "gay" material or anti-Christian shows they air. No, I quit watching it because it became a crappy, inane show, as do many that have outlasted their entertainment value to me. Personally, I find Oprah's endorsement of Obama and her touting her "New Age Christianity" much more offensive than I do Ellen or any other gay performer's appearances or shows.

I'm always reminded of these verses when I think of how I should deal with my fellow man, sinners and saints alike:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matthew 25:31-46 (King James Version)


31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Wouldn't this --shouldn't this-- apply to our treatment of gay people?

Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Note: Wouldn't God just love it if people stopped using the Bible for an excuse to hate?

One more thing: why on Earth would people just NOW be getting upset about something that happened nearly ten years ago?

4 comments:

Alison said...

Excellent post Mike ,
wish I could write and express myself like you can , I totally agree with all you have writen in this post, especially this part which jumped out at me :
None of us are born perfect; it's the quest for perfection, our life-long attempt to walk in Jesus' path, that makes us Christians.

Mike said...

You know what really made me angry? He spelled doofus "dufus".

That's an insult to us "doofuses" everwhere.

Or would that be "doofii"? -grin-

Seriously, it makes me angry to read drivel like that. (and, I'm sure it makes people angry to read MY drivel)

Do I have prejudices? Sure I do, but I want to keep them hidden as they're such ugly things.

Same reason I keep the wart on my butt hidden.

Do I think homosexuality is wrong? Yes, I do...for me. I honestly don't care what someone does in their own home, esp. something like this that doesn't affect me one bit.

It's like our dear, departed friend Brad said "I don't want to be defined as gay...That's only a small part of who I am. I'm much more than that."

Barb said...

You hit on so many things I've pondered too. I get annoyed beyond end with the folks who use the bible to justify hate. I also abhor anyone who thing they have the right to stick their nose into the life of someone else and use the arguments of Christian faith to justify it.

Not to sound like some hippy throw back but why can't we all just get along?

Carolea said...

I also wish I could write like you. And I agree with what you wrote.