Welcome to ToTG!



June 6, 2008

You Can't Fight City Hall

I got a certified letter from the city today; seems they object to an old fridge that's up against a storage building. It was dumped in the middle of my alley a few years ago, and when the trash truck came, they didn't take it away but instead pushed it onto my property.

I called the sanitation dept. asking them to come get it, but when they came, they said I had to have a sticker on it attesting to the fact I had all of the freon properly removed. Of course, they didn't believe me when I told them how it came to be on my property.

So, I call a plumber friend of mine who also has an heating/ac license to come certify it. He told me he had to charge me for it, it's the law. No problem, I said, but when he got here we found out the compressor had already been removed.

Catch-22. I can't get it certified because the guts are gone (and the freon gone to the winds) and I can't take it to the dump because it's not been certified.

(Some wag in my political group told me to hook onto it and drag it downtown to City Hall, put it in the judge's parking spot. All I know is that if I did that, it'd be 30 days or longer until I posted here again and my name wouldn't be "Mike", it'd be Inmate #454308)

4 comments:

Alison said...

If the US clinks are as cushy as the UK ones maybe 30 days isnt such a bad deal , free board and lodgings and a little TV .
If it was so bad we could bake you a cake with a key inside :0)
Oh but I would sure miss my daily laugh coming here.

Barb said...

Don't do it Mike! Those horizontal black and white stipes add 20 pounds.

Barb said...

ahem...make that stripes

Mike said...

lol @ barb.

Several of my neighbors got the same letter, so at least they weren't picking on me.

I've got some fence slats stacked up and they said those needed to be moved because they can "harbor rats".

Just like City Hall does?

I wonder if the folks on the north side of town (the expensive houses) will have to move their piles of firewood? Somehow I doubt it.