Welcome to ToTG!



August 5, 2008

Fade to Black

No, not about movies, nor am I talking about the end scene of the last episode of The Sopranos.

I leave my computer on most of the time (not too green here, sorry) but I do set my monitor to go off after fifteen minutes of inactivity. I really like the LCD monitor that came with this computer; it's flat and doesn't take up nearly the room as did my other computer monitors, and the picture is... well, was... nearly TV quality.

The other night I got up and lay down in my recliner to watch TV. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught a "flash" and decided it was just my monitor going off.

Well, it went off all right. It bit the dust. The power light wouldn't come on, even with me trying another socket for the plug.

I thought to myself "Well, this might be a good thing; I can get some stuff accomplished, read a book, get out more, do a lot of things."

I did go get a couple of books but I didn't get too much accomplished. I DID get out; went to Wal-Mart to price monitors.

I knew I had the PC Jones when I kept going back to the computer, wiggling the plugs and wondering if I could use one of the monitors off one of the other computers I have. I went up to the library today to check Amazon or Wal-Mart for a replacement monitor, but all I could find online were used models of this type.

Went and talked to a computer guy; he said it would probably cost nearly as much to fix it as it would be to buy a new one.

So, earlier today I went back to WM and bought a new monitor. I bought a 19 in. model one (saving 40 bucks over the 20 inch model). It was fairly expensive, and I noticed that I could've bought a new computer, even a laptop, for a few hundred dollars more.

That's all I need, another computer. (and it did cross my mind, 'cept I'd have to go with Vista)

The recommended resolution is 1440x800, and it's driving me nuts. I know I'll get used to it, and I've tried other resolutions, but I can't get the font size to my satisfaction except with the recommended.

Like I said, I'll get used to it...about the time this monitor and/or computer bites the dust. Hope that's a few years down the road.

Maybe I can finish my books by then.

No comments: