Welcome to ToTG!



August 9, 2008

Ol' Smokey



This is Smokey, a horse who belongs to a pal's dad. Both Smokey and his owner are retired, and ol' Smokey is allowed to run free on the half-section where my friend's father has a small cow-calf operation south of Miami, Texas.

My friend was off work yesterday and called me, wanting me to come down. After I rolled into town, I couldn't find my buddy at home, so I went to his folk's house. His mom was there and told me they were moving some cattle from one pasture to another. She wasn't for sure which place they'd be at (they lease another half-section a few miles away) but she said they'd wind up at the place they own before they went home and I couldn't miss 'em.

I told her I would just visit with Smokey until they got there and had brought some sugar cubes and an apple for him. I really like this horse; he's more personable than most horses I've been around, and enjoys the treats I bring him and likes me to rub his ol' gnarly head.

My friend's mom said they were bringing Smokey into town; they were going to have him shot! I was taken aback, and said "Have him shot???"

She laughed, and said "No, have him SHOD!"

I am such a doofus.

The gate to their place was locked, so I knew they were at the other pasture. I drove over there, but didn't see them, so decided I'd go back and wait at the other place. This time, the gate was open so I drove down to the pens. They weren't there, but I knew they'd be back soon because Smokey was tied up to the fence.



He was glad to see me, happy to get the treats, but I could tell he was a bit miffed at being tied up. He kept looking down the road; I expect he was looking for his owner and hoping he'd soon be let loose.



He kept stamping his feet; not merely to get the flies off, but to show his displeasure at being tied up so short!

I took several videos of him; this one is the "best".

3 comments:

Barb said...

handsome ol' fella

Mike said...

He's an old sweetheart.

Talked to my pal earlier; he said he got on Ford and wasn't bucked off. I took a video of him, too, but I screwed it up.

I also got a small vid of my buddy riding Ol' Smokey, but it wasn't nothing special. They had a cow get loose in the feed and it was so tall they couldn't see her, so Smokey was pressed into service to go traipsin' thru the tall plants to find her.

He rode Smokey bareback, and I had to help my friend up on him! lol I told him that Smokey was in better shape than he was!

Barb said...

The last 5 or so years of my old horse's life no one rode her but prior to that I used to climb on her bareback. Note that I didn't say jump, lol. I'd use and upturned bucket or her stall half door to climb aboard. I'm not in the shape I used to be either.

I'd never bother with any tack, just use a piece of twine looped through her halter to "neck rein" her.

I miss my old girl. I'm thinking when Colleen is 10 I'm going to find a local stable for lessons and then if she stays interested find her a horse we can share by the time she's 12 or so.