Welcome to ToTG!



September 6, 2008

A Tree Tunnel



One of but a few places left along Hwy 60 east of Miami where the tops of the trees touch each other from opposite sides of the road. It's not as nice as some, but here in the Panhandle where trees can sometimes be scarce -especially along highways- it's a lovely sight.

(The Texas Dept. of Transportation recently announced plans to cut down some of these trees in order to make the highway "safer". There was an uproar from the public and I *think* the project was put on hold, perhaps a compromise was reached. I need to find out.)

When I was a kid, we used to go camping every summer, and at some lake (I can't remember which one, think it was Fort Supply in Oklahoma) there was a long stretch of dirt road that was named "The Tree Tunnel" because the trees enveloped the road, creating a long, dark tunnel of green, with some beautiful rays of light where the sun pierced the canopy of leaves.

This photo was taken last year, and I plan on making another "Foliage Tour" of my own when the leaves start turning colors.

1 comment:

sharintexas said...

I don't think anyone who has grown up in an area with an abundance of trees can understand the draw/beauty/awe they have to someone who grew up in the Panhandle. I've been in the Dallas area over 16 years and still love to watch the trees from season to season. I'll bet there are more trees in a few blocks around my house here than there are in Roberts County. I hate it when any of the trees are cut down to make way for housing developments or new shopping areas. I just don't like them being taken for granted and don't think that's progress.