Welcome to ToTG!



October 26, 2008

genuflect

genuflect \JEN-yuh-flekt\, intransitive verb:
1. To bend the knee or touch one knee to the ground, as in worship.
2. To be servilely respectful or obedient; to grovel.


I certainly remember the first time I ever heard this word used in a sentence. I was best man at a Catholic wedding and at the rehearsal was instructed to genuflect in front of the altar. I told the bride's mother "You want me to gen-you-flecked? Right here in the church?"

I knew what the word meant, but I didn't want to do it. This was during my heathen stage of life and I had no respect for churches or their customs.

(actually, I still pretty much feel that way, but don't consider myself a heathen now. Even today I find the thought of "groveling" in front of an altar to be repulsive.)

Of course, I went ahead and did it because I didn't want to embarrass the groom...any more than I already had.

I had already made his face red by joking about the little latrine in the foyer.

It was a little uncomfortable the next night, after the wedding at the reception. I didn't know anyone other than the groom so the priest and I got drunk together. I had fun until he made a pass at me.

No comments: