Welcome to ToTG!



October 8, 2014

You're Only Lonely - J.D. Souther

A "bump" from 10/2008


I wish they had a better version; there was one of Souther singing this in concert, but embedding was disabled.

One of my favorite songs of all time. It's very moving.

UPDATE:

I was listening to online classic rock radio last night and heard a song by a group called Buckingham Nicks; the station showed the album cover the song was from and it was unmistakably Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham, but I didn't remember the group. So, I read a little about them and since a friend of mine and I were discussing music the other day in another post and she mentioned Nicks, I did some more reading about her and Buckingham's breakup while with Fleetwood Mac. I've always liked her, thought her talented and beautiful, but I did not know the fairly extensive list of rock stars she dated after splitting with Buckingham.

One of the men she dated was Souther and I got to thinking about this song and came in to see if I had posted it before and saw I had. (six years ago, so no wonder I didn't remember- I have trouble these days remembering the last time I ate.) The YouTube account that had posted it had been suspended and the song deleted, so I found this version and decided to "bump" the old post.

I also went on to read more about Souther and this song and was amazed at the list of people who contributed to it .

5 comments:

Alison said...

Henley and Everley , just these 2 voices alone are a top class contribution to this song, I didnt know you so many years back so had not seen this on your blog originally ,but sure enjoyed it today , I love music but have not been researching as much as I used to on various artists or new sounds , I always enjoy so much these releases that are made up of various great musicians ,like today on FB when I heard the BBC have put together a new version off God only Knows by the beach boys and I thought it sounded fabulous , I recognised a lot of the singers but there were a lot of new singers that I didn't kmpw and had to go and google to find out who they were , people and sometimes myself say there is no talent aroound these days but actually I have changed my mind ,there is and its just I don't bother to listen or bother too much to give any time to hearing any new stuff, I am more into playing the past stuff, well maybe its time to catch up and give the newbies a chance .

Mike said...

Oh, I saw a post w/ that Beach Boys tune remake, but didn't listen to the video, need to.

I'll admit to not being into the newest music and liking what I know, but I HAVE discovered some newer stuff and enjoyed it. My excuse was that there were some gems, but also a lot of trash...then I realized that could be said about music from any generation or genre. I remember buying record albums just for a few songs but the rest weren't worth it. You could buy the .45 singles IF you could find them, the hits sold out quickly. Now you can go to any number of websites such as Amazon and buy singles for .99

I like to think I am an above-average music fan - that I know more about it than most people but there are times just like with Buckingham Nicks I have to say "Why did I not know about them?"

(not saying I appreciate music more than most or that I know more "technically" about it, but it's just the trivia - I read things and remember)

What really gets me is I run across a song, such as one by the Beatles and find out I never heard it before, so that brings me down to Earth somewhat with my lofty ideals of my musical knowledge. My main knowledge of the music of today is from celebrity news or YouTube - I don't listen to Top 40 radio these days.

Mike said...

JUST liking what I know, meant to say.

Mike said...

I listened to that BBC Music God Only Knows and thought it pretty good. I sure didn't recognize everyone in the video and had to go find out...and hadn't heard of several of them. One of the sites I visited rated each individual performance along w/ the line they sang - to their credit, they gave Brian Wilson (who wrote the song) the best score. Still, some of their remarks were unnecessarily snarky.

Alison said...

You are like me , You Tube and posts on Facebook sometimes is how I hear the music, my kids are not at home anymore and they were the ones playing all the latest stuff so i got to hear it back then from them , also no more Top of the Pops for me or listening to the top 10 on the radio like years back. Times change as we get old ,better catch up some before i cant even hear the songs anymore because of loss of hearing ;)