Welcome to ToTG!



November 17, 2008

Fried Deviled Eggs

From Start Sampling:



Ingredients

1 Dozen eggs
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
1 tablespoon chopped chives
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs beaten
1 cup panko crumbs
parsley for garnish
peanut oil for frying

Directions

Add the eggs to a large saucepan filled with cold water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let sit in the water for 14 minutes.

Peel the eggs and slice lengthwise. Remove the yolks to a bowl. Add the mayonnaise, Dijon, Lemon zest, Chives and salt and pepper. Mash the yolks together with a wooden spoon. Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed. Fill the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites.

Heat oil in a deep fryer to350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, add 1 cup of flour and season with salt and pepper. In another bowl, beat the eggs, in the third bowl, add 1 cup panko.

Dip the eggs into the flour, then the eggs and finally into the panko. Gently put the eggs into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel lined sheet tray. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with parsley.



I never meant to start a recipe section of this blog, but some of the previous ones I've posted looked just too scrumptious to not share.

One of the reasons I'm posting this one is that deviled eggs were a family tradition. My mom made great deviled eggs and they were the one thing that was for sure to disappear from the dinner table when the family would gather together.

The other reason I'm posting this is because I've heard of all kinds of things being fried...Snickers bars, ice cream, pickles, Twinkies...we fry darn near anything here in the South, but deviled eggs?

3 comments:

Alison said...

Oh I absolutely love these eggs although we call them Scotch eggs in UK , they are so good ,I havent had one for a log time as here in Cyprus they dont seem to do them and I havent bvothered to make them myself but should do, they are very popular to take along on picnics in Britain , its great to see some recipies on your site Mike ,I get some good ideas for what I can do for lunch or dinner

Mike said...

I had a friend come over from GB and she had never had them; maybe my mom made them different or the "deviled eggs" instead of "Scotch Eggs" threw her.

I do know she tried for the first time, and absolutely loved, fried okra.

I used to send pkgs. to another friend in GB and she loved Moon Pies. I bet Chester knows all about 'em! (They're a "suthern thang")

sharintexas said...

Interesting, but I think I'll stick with Mother's recipe, Mike. Do you remember her putting paprika on top of the deviled eggs, mashed potatoes, etc for garnish? Sandy made several dozen deviled eggs one time for a church function. She decided to make them "pretty" but what she didn't realize was her paprika was old. She looked down at all the eggs and the "paprika" was moving. She ended up having to throw all of them away and bring something else to the church luncheon. A word to the wise....throw away your spices and get new ones if they haven't been used for a while!

I enjoy the recipes, too.