Welcome to ToTG!



November 18, 2008

Pet Peeve # 00001

This is the start of a new label/subject: My Pet Peeves. As you can see, I'm allowing room for many, many more.



Here lately I've been hearing a catch phrase all over the TV, radio and on the 'net. Mostly it's been associated with sports, namely football, where the one speaking is talking about how nothing can be done about a certain worry, i.e. with the Dallas Cowboys line.

For example, someone will say "The Cowboys line isn't as dominant as we thought they would be." and some doofus will reply:

"It is what it is."

Well, sure it is what it is. If it wasn't what it was, it would be something else.

Good grief.

4 comments:

sharintexas said...

I work with a gal who says that all the time about everything in the conversation. I have to grit my teeth to keep from yelling "STOP" at her. Then I realized, "She is what she is!" LOL!!

Mike said...

It just strikes me as a lazy way to further an argument without having to say anything.

It's like the speaker/writer thinks it is "proof" of evidence.

Chris McClure aka Panhandle Poet said...

Just what is the definition of "is"???

Mike said...

I believe that's up to you, Mr. Clinton. -wink-

Thanks for posting!