Welcome to ToTG!



December 30, 2008

Hey Hey It's Your Birthday!

Today is the birthday (1945) of former Monkee and teen idol Davy Jones.

Then:



And now (2006)



Jones was recently selected as the top teen idol of all time in a Yahoo survey.

Official website

The diminutive Jones (5'3") wasn't my favorite of the group; that honor fell to Michael Nesmith (shown below, far right), a "Mike" like me, a native Texan like me...and, like me, preferred wearing sock caps to keep his unruly hair in place.



Peter Tork, second from right, was the goofy one and I guess I could identify with him because of that. Mickey Dolenz, at back and in red, was the designated smartass of the four, but I preferred Nesmith's sarcastic wit.

A couple bits of trivia: Nesmith's mother invented Liquid Paper and he also won the first Grammy (1981) given for Video of the Year.

Here's the opening from their zany 60's television show. I never missed it if I could help it.

No comments: