Welcome to ToTG!



February 28, 2009

One Solution

Earlier this a.m. I "shared" a news article titled "Watch out for unsolicited phone calls" on the Connect Amarillo website.

I've been getting these same calls for weeks now and finally got fed up. The calls are from automated dialers and give you the option of pressing "1" to speak with someone or to press "2" if you are not interested. Up until a few weeks ago I kept up the futile effort of choosing the latter, but the next day would get the exact same sort of call.

The first time I spoke with a representative, I was polite and told them I wasn't interested. I barely finished the sentence when I found I was listening to a dial tone. The second time I got angry and told them to not call me again in the future. I was cursed at and told I shouldn't be pressing "1" if I wasn't interested. I wanted to reply but I didn't even get to even start the sentence before I was hung up on.

Furious, I vowed to get even. I remembered an item out in the garage I thought might get them to stop.

Sure enough, I was called again just yesterday and as before, I pressed "1" to speak with an operator. Before I could say a word, here came the spiel about upgrading my vehicle warranty.

In a whisper, I told the woman on the other line I could barely hear her; she then adjusted her volume level and asked me if I could hear her now. In a bit louder voice, I told her that was somewhat better, but could she please speak up. She turned up her volume and said "That better?" Talking a little louder than I had at first, I replied that it was a little bit better, but still could barely understand. Again she turned up the volume and I allowed that that was much better....and by-the-way, was she using one of those headsets with the microphone attached? She replied that she was and then I broke out my surprise:



I then heard the distinct sound of the headphones being ripped off and curse words that I haven't heard since I roughnecked with a former sailor.

I wonder if I could sell her a warranty on her new hearing aid?

3 comments:

Laura said...

It took me a LONG time to read this post, especially towards the end, because I was laughing so hard. I could barely read a phrase of a sentence without busting up again. You are so clever. I wish I had been there to watch it in person!

Mike said...

I wish you had been here, too, Laura. I'd let YOU answer the phone and tell 'em "Sorry, Mike's not here!"

Mike said...

Still find me funny, Laura? You probably thought it was funny when you were stringing me along.