Welcome to ToTG!



February 22, 2009

Well Connected

Today's quote from the Quote of the Day feed:

We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men.
- Herman Melville

The first thing I thought of after reading that was one of the final scenes in Melville's "Moby Dick" movie version where Captain Ahab was entangled in the ropes surrounding the great white whale.



I'd say he was well-connected, wouldn't you?

A thousand fibers might very well connect us with our fellow men, but I try my best to sever *some* of those "ties that bind". I may be doomed to the fate of being lashed to the great beast, but instead of being like Ahab, with his lifeless body seeming to wave with the whale's every breech, I'm hoping rigor mortis extends my middle finger as a parting shot.

(if you think it's aimed at you, it probably is)

Call me Ishmael, why dontcha?

No comments: