Welcome to ToTG!



March 29, 2009

Too Bad

It's staying white




Your Blog Should Be Yellow



You're a cheerful, upbeat blogger who tends to make everyone laugh.

You are a great storyteller, and the first to post the latest funny link.

You're also friendly and welcoming to everyone who comments on your blog.




A few weeks ago I read an article that claimed that blogs should have black backgrounds instead of white because white blogs use more electricity.

In the comments section, someone had said that besides the "green" savings, it was harder for them to read a white background blog. (maybe that's why I don't get many readers) I disagree, at least in my own case; it's always been easier for me to read dark text on a light bg.

I think that reading too MANY blogs, no matter what color they are, is hard on the eyes. I've been culling my own blog list reading down quite a bit here lately and have some more to do.

Other than the color suggestion, I would like to think the rest of the quiz results are spot on. It's what I strive for, anyway. I never wanted to do much in the way of political posting; I've had my fill of that since I first got online, just before the 2000 elections. Nearly ten years of tilting at windmills has jaded me and made me face the fact that even with our votes, we do not control who gets elected. My belief in God has led me to believe that it's out of our hands, that He is the one who controls our national destiny. I don't understand why He is letting these things happen, but I've made up my mind to not worry about it, as He has promised to reveal all mysteries to us someday.

Political posts in here are few and far between and my long-time readers know I am an equal opportunity "josher", namely because I've not yet seen a politician who doesn't deserve some ridicule. In this last election, other than Ron Paul, there wasn't a single candidate of either party who was worthy of the presidency and the good doctor certainly had his own faults. I certainly didn't agree with all of his positions.

Democrat/Republican, there's not a nickle's worth of difference between them. They're only interested in being elected in order to maintain their power and prestige. If they're honest when they get elected, they soon become corrupted, it's the nature of the beast. The best and most honest president we ever had was also the first and he warned us about the two-party system.

Enough political BS:

This blog is about ME and MY likes and dislikes. It's "ego-centric", in other words. I don't see anything wrong with that. The only people I particularly want to stop by are my close friends (both "real" and "online") and family. All I want to do is post photos, talk about cats and other varmits, comment on websites I've visited and things I thought were cool, put in links to free stuff, share the music I like, make light of the Panhandle weather... and the only griping I care to do these days is about the Cowboys.

Oh yeah, and poke some fun at spammers.

The things I post have only one rule of thumb to get published:

Would I be...would I have been...ashamed to let my momma see it?

That's the only Code of Conduct I care about.

9 comments:

garazon said...

You know I like the look of a dark background but I always thought it was harder to read myself than dark text on a light background. That was surprising to see it is considered easier to read as well by some. well anyway I seem to change mine with the wind it seems, always trying something new.

the test says mine should be blue. I do have a blue theme but its a darker one and I was afraid it was too hard to read it, I'm with you, easier for me to read it on a light background too.

Mike said...

I agree with you about dark backgrounds, and I always thought them cool looking.

When I first started learning about making pages, I decided that a white background was what I liked best. It mainly had to do with graphics and animations and their backgrounds. I'd have to go look at some on my discs, but it seems to me that black bg anis were larger (size kb-wise) than were white and that clear bg graphics were larger than either of them, plus they seemed "fuzzier" around the edges.

I think part of it was psychological, too, namely that dark sites seemed...well, "darker" and not lending themselves to my favorite sort of site, a light-hearted kind.

I thought about you when I did this quiz and post, knowing that you've had several sites/groups with black bgs. I didn't want to offend you, then decided that you're mature enough to know that people CAN have differences and not take it personally just because someone dislikes something you like.

Me, I've had troubles with that in the past but now think I'VE matured enough to realize it. "Some" other people certainly don't, though.

I like your blog colors you've had.

Just opened new tab, so I could easily copy and paste the URL to here and noticed it's different--again! lol

Nothing wrong with change.

http://www.garazon.com/

Thanks for posting!

garazon said...

Yeah I've always had a fondness for dark coloured sites and especially early on in my web site endeavors. I think by now we both know each other well enough to be able to speak our preferences to each other without the other taking it personally. I have borrowed many a page from you as well Mike ;) I really didnt intend to change the den theme as much as I have lately, just the latest version of Wordpress requires some changes to the theme templates that I havent quite mastered yet in order to take advantage of the newer functions and I have had enough experiences running vulnerable versions of software on my server. So for now I will piddle about with some of these premade templates until the one I like is updated. if it ever is.

It's funny you mentioned the bit about the dark colours having the psychological effect of seeming "darker"... I used to feel the same way and I guess in some ways I still do, but I like to be a bit of a rebel and do things backwards to popular thinking ;)

sharintexas said...

My old eyes can read the dark lettering on the lighter background much better. Of course, at work I sit in front of the computer over 12 hours a day, so it all runs together no matter what color it is.

Mother would have gotten a kick out of your blog, Mike. She would even have had a suggestion or two, I'm sure. I enjoy coming in every day and seeing what you're up to. I don't always agree with everything you have on here, but that's what makes the world go round. I love ya no matter what!

Mike said...

Well, sis, I wouldn't have a clue about what I have on here you don't like, but perhaps it's the few political posts I've put up. I've pretty much been a conservative libertarian for all of my adult life and am certainly not ashamed of that. I'm not a Republican and damn sure not a Democrat. (and never will vote that way as long as Teddy Kennedy is one/alive)

Maybe it's the reading list I have and the anti-Obama stuff I read and share. No secrets there, I researched the guy two years ago and he was at the bottom of the list of Dems. I would've accepted to be elected. He is a Marxist, spawned from the cesspool that is Chicago politics. I'm not convinced he is even a natural born citizen. I have no use for people who hate America.

Whatever, still glad you stop by.

This post was in response to a "challenge" by another blogger. He said "we" should be more involved in politics, esp. at a local level and in our neighborhoods. I was astounded, because he hasn't a clue as to how much I HAVE been involved. Just because I don't talk about politics in here doesn't mean I haven't done it elsewhere.

As I said, though, I'm tired of politics. I'm going to keep up with what's happening, but I've decided to quit posting on political sites. It does no good because I'm either "tilting at windmills" or preaching to the choir.

If current events do not change people's minds, then my rantings won't either.

This blog is my main source of amusement. I don't go to bars, don't go to the movies nor rent them much, don't do much of anything for fun other than surf the 'net and post stuff to here. I don't even spend much time, on avg., in here, either. Many of these posts are done in a single day and post-dated to publish in the days ahead.

I just resented someone telling me what sort of blog I should have.

The Local Malcontent said...

Well said, Mike!
And you sometimes, still seem puzzled as to why we love to visit the TOTG.
Your blog should reflect you, your interests and your thoughts.
No one elses'.

Regarding background colors: nah, I don't see it in yellow, either.
Purplish mauve, on the other hand.... :-)

Alison said...

I go with liking the look of a dark background but as everyone seems to agree its easier to read from a lighter cloured one, on my own blog I think I have only changed the colour of the background twice but that's because I am not so educated yet on messing with the ways to do it and have only used a couple of the choices I can use easily from blogger, I hate looking at some of the backgrounds folks use on places like You Tube and My Space etc. some of them are so psychodelic they can give you a migraine within seconds.

I love your blog Mike , and I think you are one of the funniest ( on -line)friends I have , or maybe since I moved to NC the only friend I have , seems to me im out in the sticks a bit so I tend to be spending much more time in front of the pc , well that's fine up to a certain point,but one thing I have heard you mention if you become to involved in some of the on line discussions it can lead to high blood pressure and mine has shot up since I got here in the US and registered with a few ,so I think I will stick to lighthearted sites that make me laugh like this one .

Mike said...

Alison, bless your heart. If I'm your only online friend (or even the funniest)....-grin-

I wondered about that when I first heard you two were going to be married. I had a British friend whom I became very close to in a short period of time and after a couple of years of daily chatting and emailing and a several visits by her to here, we decided we'd get married.

Then came some issues with her family and she felt she needed to stay over there. I didn't blame her,but even after she pleaded with me, I couldn't bring myself to move over there. I knew I'd become homesick and maybe even blame her for being so miserable.

-sigh-

Anyway, glad you stop by and am happy that my strange brand of "humour" is your cuppa. I appreciate you and the Big G both and everyone else who posts and stops by...even if they're only stopping in to maybe catch a glimpse of my sister's feet or to see some odd photos of gay dwarfs.

Mike said...

Well, Mal, my "rant" was in response to your statement in your own blog, as I previously told you in an email. I'm not fond of being chastised by someone -- even though you denied it -- for what I do politically. I'm glad we got that straightened out and hope it doesn't happen again.

I donated 25 bucks to the re-election of a friend of mine who has a position in the county govt.; she told me I was one of her biggest donors. lol I told her she was lucky she was my friend because I generally vote against the incumbent in nearly all the elections. (unless they're doing a great job, as she is)

My blog is as local as it gets, I think, aimed at the local area and for my own friends and family, no matter where they live.

I'm sick of politics.