Welcome to ToTG!



May 29, 2009

laodicean

laodicean [ley-od-uh-see-uhn]

–adjective
1. lukewarm or indifferent, esp. in religion, as were the early Christians of Laodicea.

–noun
2. a person who is lukewarm or indifferent, esp. in religion.



Not from the Word of the Day feed in the right hand column, but this was the winning word in yesterday's finals of the National Spelling Bee.

I was one of my school's two entries in a spelling contest back when I was in the sixth grade. I won with "acne" when no one else could spell it.

I knew the word because I already had it.

My partner and I went on to the district contest where "we" were soundly trounced. I say "we" because she and I were a team and our cumulative score was what was measured against the other schools. She missed one; because I didn't study much, I missed something like six or seven and thanks to me we didn't place in the top three to advance to the next level. She said it was "OK" when I apologized to her, but I could tell it wasn't. Wonder if she's still mad at me?

No comments: