Welcome to ToTG!



July 22, 2009

Mad Fold-Ins

The New York Times has a nifty homage to the back cover fold-ins of Mad Magazine.


The page is in a slideshow type format; click on the right-hand side and "pull" the image to the left, folding it over as you would do the magazine to reveal the hidden message.

My mom used to buy Mad Magazines for me and my sisters when she would go to the grocery store. The mag was then a hilariously funny satire of popular culture and politics, but in the last several years has slanted so far to the left that, a few years ago when I showed my mom an issue I had bought, she threw it in the trash basket.

Mad Fold-Ins

2 comments:

Barb said...

Mad was the best when I was a kid. Loved the fold ins. We used to try and draw our own.

Mike said...

Mom got angry with one during the elections in 2000. There were some bits bashing Kerry, but the slurs against Bush were more frequent.

My sister had bought me the subscription and mom told her she was surprised she would send such trash to her brother. LOL

The next year, my sister bought me a subscription to Time and mom told her the same thing!

The angriest my mom ever got at me was for some remark I made about Reagan's mental capacity. I made sure to never say anything like that again, at least around her.

Thanks for posting!