Welcome to ToTG!



August 17, 2009

TOMATO FEST: Sassy Smoky Salsa

NOTE: This is a test of a new feature which integrates items I've read in my Google Reader and can send to Blogger. I don't plan to make a habit of it, but thought it was a neat thing.



TOMATO FEST: Sassy Smoky Salsa: "

“It’s difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato.”

–  Lewis Grizzard



Each summer I can hardly wait until I start seeing red globes peeking out from between the green leaves of our tomato plants.


There are a million salsa recipes out there, and I have tried my share of them over the last 30 years. Trust me on this – I grew up a few miles from the Mexican border and I have eaten hundreds of salsas. If I am a connoisseur of any one thing, it has to be salsa! This recipe is my absolute all-time favorite!  Roasting about half of the tomatoes quickly at a very high heat give a wonderful roasted smoky flavor, but keeping half of the tomatoes raw gives it the perfect freshness and texture. And, the chipotle chile powder and smoked paprika are delicious in combination with tomatoes.


Don’t skip the EVOO. Olive oil used with tomatoes improves BOTH their flavor and health benefits exponentially.


I love to make gallons (literally) of our family’s favorite salsa and then cruise around the neighborhood like “The Salsa Fairy” handing out pints to friends or leaving them on doorsteps as a surprise treat.


You may even be tempted to sit down with a bowl of this with a very large spoon. No, I am NOT kidding.



SASSY SMOKY SALSA


Juice of two limes (about 1/4 cup)


Zest of two limes (about 2 teaspoons)


4 cloves garlic


1 large bunch cilantro


About 12 large ripe tomatoes (to make 8 cups smashed)


2 bunches green onions, tops included


1 bell pepper, any color


4 to 6 fresh jalapeƱos


1 tablespoon each chipotle chile powder and smoked paprika


2 teaspoons salt (or more to taste)


2 tablespoons olive oil


A few dashes Tabasco sauce, to taste


Cut tomatoes in half and squeeze out all juice and seeds. Place half of tomatoes cut side down on a baking sheet and spray with a little oil. Broil about 3 inches from heat for about 5 minutes, until tomato skins begin to blacken in spots. Let cool. Drain off liquid from pan and then pulse roasted tomatoes and remaining uncooked tomatoes in food processor until tomatoes are in small chunks. DO NOT PUREE. Place tomato mixture in a large bowl.


Place lime juice, lime zest, garlic and cilantro in food processor and blend until smooth. Remove seeds and pulp from jalapeƱos and mince. Remove ends and outer skins of green onions and mince. Remove seeds and white pulp from bell pepper and mince. Add chile powder, salt and olive oil. Stir all ingredients together and let sit on counter for at least one hour for flavors to blend. Taste. If necessary because tomatoes are acidic, add in a little sugar to taste. If salsa is too runny, stir in a can of tomato paste. Cover and refrigerate for up to 10 days. Serve at room temperature. Makes a HUGE batch!!


Variation: To make salsa hotter, add more hot peppers, such as serranos. Also, leaving the seeds in will make the salsa hotter after seeds have had a chance to blend with other flavors.


Some other fabulous roasted tomato salsas:

Fourth of July Roasted Tomato Salsa, 101 Cookbooks.com

Roasted Tomato Salsa, Karina’s Kitchen

Slow Roasted Tomato Salsa, A Veggie Venture


– posted by Donna

"

2 comments:

FabFrugalFood said...

This salsa is perfect for you Texans - you are quite SASSY, after all!

Mike said...

Well, Fab, I posted the article because it was a new feature (at least I hadn't noticed it before) and also since I really liked the recipe. Thank you for not coming in here and reading me the riot act over copyright issues. (that's why I had the disclaimer at the first)

I'm wonderin' just how legal this is. It's one thing to quote part of an article, but this application just nabs the entire post. At least it leaves the links in.

Thanks for posting, appreciate it. I guess you can see that I follow your blog in my Google Reader.