Welcome to ToTG!



January 24, 2010

Baa-Con

Survey: Brits think bacon comes from sheep







LONDON, Jan. 21 (UPI) -- A survey of British youngsters suggests 26 percent of the country's under-16 population erroneously believe bacon comes from sheep.

The survey of 800 children and adults, conducted for the Home Grown Cereals Authority and the National Farmers' Union, also suggests 29 percent of youngsters believe oats grow on trees and 17 percent of both children and adults are under the false impression that eggs are a necessary ingredient in bread, the Daily Mail reported Thursday.

Found at Bits & Pieces where I not only stole their post, I nabbed their graphic and most of their headline, too. To my credit, I credit them.


I don't think this is much about the nationality of the survey, but rather the age of the children answering the question. England is a relatively small country and I'd bet most of the population lives in urban areas and really don't have a clue about farming in general. I'd bet a similar percentage of American kids wouldn't know either, and I bet a larger percentage of Americans wouldn't even know who Francis Bacon was. (or where he came from)

Shoot, I had a brother-in-law that thought macaroni grew on trees. (and that a winch on the back of my dad's truck could lift the tire off the ground in order to fix it)


I remember my momma sayin' she wanted a little black sheep. I always figgered I was a reasonable facsimile.

1 comment:

Denise * KKL Primitives said...

just stopping by to say Hello Mike