Welcome to ToTG!



February 17, 2010

hypnagogic

hypnagogic \hip-nuh-GOJ-ik; -GOH-jik\ , adjective;
1. Of, pertaining to, or occurring in the state of drowsiness preceding sleep.



Most of the time I try to make some smarmy remark about these words, or accompany them with a feeble attempt at humor, but there are a few times where I actually learn something.

Following the link on the definition page, I learned the name for what I often experience just before drifting off to sleep: hypnagogic jerk. It used to freak me out when I'd do that, thinking the reason was because I had forgotten something very important I was supposed to do that day or it was a premonition that I was going to die in my sleep...both of which would upset me and pull me out of the "state of drowsiness".

No comments: