Welcome to ToTG!



April 5, 2010

Beans for Breakfast



Fried breakfast is healthiest start to day, say scientists

From the UK Telegraph website:

Scientists believe that breakfast programmes the metabolism for the rest of the day, and a fatty meal will help the body break down fat later on.

Carbohydrate rich foods in contrast appear mainly to prepare the body to break down only carbohydrates, the International Journal of Obesity reports.

Read the rest of the story



The first time I ever knew of anyone eating beans for breakfast was in the movie Trainspotting; in one scene a family was sitting down for breakfast and had beans on their plates. Several years later I asked a British friend of mine if she ate beans for breakfast; she looked at me funny and told me "No." I didn't press the issue because of the way she eyed me after the question. I think she thought I was "taking the mick".

The breakfast pictured above and on the site sure looks great to me, though. Toast, tomatoes, sausage, eggs and ham, along with some fried mushrooms and potatoes...plus the beans.

Since that time, I've had beans for breakfast...right out of the can. Not nearly as good as I expect they would be with the rest of the breakfast in the photo.

No comments: