Welcome to ToTG!



June 18, 2010

Waterloo


June 18th 1815

Wiki entry on the

Battle of Waterloo







Charge of the British Heavy Cavalry

From the 1970 release Waterloo



Always loved this old country tune:

Waterloo - Stonewall Jackson



And this reminds me of elle. -sigh-

Waterloo - ABBA



(description w/ vid)

Waterloo was recorded in Dec 1973. Abba chose it over Hasta Manana to be the Swedish entry for Eurovision 1974, as it was a happy uptempo rocking song with rhythm and energy, and all the group sing. Stig Anderson took a demo tape on holiday to the Canary Isles. Stig agonised for a week to find the right title, then produced the original Swedish lyrics in a few hours, constructing a story of Waterloo as a metaphor for a girl surrendering to the love of a suitor. The rest is history, it was the first time Sweden had won Eurovision. The song rapidly became a worldwide hit after this huge success in Brighton in April 1974, reaching no. 1 in England on May 4 1974. This tv performance is from November 1974.

When I hear or read about Napoleon, I think back to some grafitti I saw at the Canadian, TX. h.s. that read:

"This is where Napoleon pulled his Bonaparte."

1 comment:

Mike said...

Elle sent me a photo of her at 17 where she worked at a fine china shop; she was the spittin' image of the blonde chick in ABBA. (Forget her name, not that I ever really knew it. I've researched the group, read about them, but I can't recall the Swedish names).

I've read that the group could speak very little English and they memorized the lyrics by rote.