Welcome to ToTG!



August 29, 2011

This Really Stinks!

skunk "I stink, therefore I am."

Fed the Beej earlier;  he's been eating so much lately, I opened up two pouches for him, figuring I'd mix a little hard food with what he didn't eat and give it to the cat that's adopted us.

She's a fussy little heifer, turning up her nose at the cheap hard food and leaves nearly all of it and then the ants swarm over it and making me have to throw it away.  She ate most of what I put out this time, though and to keep the ants from getting all over it I gave the remains a pitch just off the porch.  It was starting to sprinkle and I figured the rain would "melt" it.

I looked outside later to see if the Beej wanted in from the rain, but my porch light was burned out.  I grabbed a flashlight I keep handy and shined the light, looking for my cat.  I saw a bushy tail poking up from the side of the porch and thought "Well, you little *&^$%#@!  You won't eat it from the dish, but you'll scarf it up off the ground!"  I took the couple of steps over to the edge of the porch, then a movement caught my eye.  It was the other cat...hmmm, wonder wonder what cat it is eating that food on the ground?

One quick look with the beam of the flashlight told me all I needed to know.  It was a skunk and my movement towards it had made it turn backwards towards me, tail up in the air, its backside quivering, ready to fire.  I wasn't but a foot or two away from it!

I got back inside as quickly as possible.  Peeking out the door and shining the light, I saw the skunk had gone away.  Thinking that maybe I could pour some strong-scented cleaner on the ground to deter it from hanging around, I grabbed the bottle from under the sink only to find the skunk had gone back to eating.  As soon as the light hit it, it resumed its "offensive" position again.  I shooed it away several times, but it kept coming back.  I even threw an old slipper at it but that didn't keep it away for very long.  I figured I was pushing my luck, so I left it alone.

For a few seconds, I thought of getting out a .22 pistol and shooting it.  I keep bird shot in one pistol -never have used it, but I would if a dog was harassing my old cat-varmint.  It didn't take long for me to figure out that might be a bad idea, esp. if any shot ricocheted or I missed, because my truck was right behind the skunk. 

I hope it's gone by the morning;  I hate being held hostage in my own house by something smaller than a cat.   I hope B doesn't smell like a skunk in the morning or he'll have to take his meals outside.  I'll have to feed the other cat up on a lawn chair in hopes the skunk can't get up there.

3 comments:

Alison said...

That made me laugh, your antics with the animals sound a lot like ours, we have a domestic cat as you know and she is quite spoiled ,likes her more expensive hard food and now and again will eat a little better quality soft food, what she doesnt eat I always give it to the feral cat that used to keep a distance but eventually got so used to us she is now lying on our deck constantly and lets us touch her a little, the 2 cats get on great and are good company for each other ,I always had a dog previously and wasnt so keen on cats , but I have really have got got used to ours now and spoli her ,just a bit sad she is not a very loving cat and only really lets you pet her when she wants something, all the same we love her to bits and run after her like a child. I have seen a lot of animals since I started living here in NC but a Skunk, not yet , dont think I want to either by your description of it. Good luck with getting rid of it , you may run out of old slippers .

Mike said...

Haven't seen the skunk yet, but that doesn't mean it's still not hanging around. I've been a lot more careful with leaving the food out and made a place up on a chair to feed the outside cat.

Wish I could have a dog, but I really don't have the space for it. I love them, but cats are more suited to my situation. Well, ONE cat is, anyway. Wish the other would go away. B really doesn't like her and there's been other strays hang around that he tolerated much better.

Always enjoy hearing about your pets, thanks for the update!

Mike said...

Haven't seen the skunk SINCE then, should have said. Still watchful when I'm outside.