Welcome to ToTG!



November 26, 2011

I Got a Kick Out of This

Checked my Google Reader a little while ago; most of the articles were uninteresting, so I hit the "Read All" button except for two Dallas Cowboy posts. One was from Blogging the Boys: The Bossness Of Dan Bailey.The article was about the phenomenal rookie place kicker for Dallas. He's already set several NFL rookie kicking records and will hopefully break the team record for most consecutive kicks made. From the website:

Dan Bailey is breaking records.

His 26 consecutive field goals this season is an NFL rookie record (the next best rookie mark is 14). His four game-winning kicks - defined by the NFL as kicks made with less than two minutes remaining in regulation or in overtime - are also a league rookie mark. And he tied an NFL rookie record with six field goals made in the Week 3 win against the Washington Redskins.


They had a poll on the site, asking the readers to vote for a nickname for Bailey.  Here are the options:


I voted for "Dan the Man", but as you can see,  "Steely Dan" was winning at the time I read the post. Now, I'm an avid Cowboys fan, but I also consider myself fairly knowledgeable about music trivia and while I love Steely Dan (esp. "Reelin' In The Years") I don't think it's an appropriate nickname for Bailey.

From the Steely Dan website FAQ:

With the core band recruited, Donald and Walter need a name for their group. Since both of them were avid readers of 1950's "Beat" literature, they decided to name the band "Steely Dan" after a dildo in William Burroughs' "Naked Lunch."

Yeah, that'd be a GREAT nickname. Uh huh. -snicker-

3 comments:

Alison said...

Love this song , I remember I was just getting into lots of music that year (1978) at 16 years old ,my friends little older sister played Steely Dan cassettes constantly ,so I got more familiar with them and had her record some tapes for me too , The Old Grey Whistle Test was a fab programme and had some great artists and talent permorm on it.
Thanks for the song.

Mike said...

It's one of my favorite songs, Alison. It's one of those tunes that always have given me a lift when I listen to it.

There were other videos of this song, but I picked this one because it had the band in it.

Think the song came out in '72, my senior yr. in high school. That was a good year for music.

I was 23 in '78, about to get married. - sigh-

Mike said...

always has, not have. I'm tired, didn't catch that and I always proofread before I send a post...just sometimes not well.