Welcome to ToTG!



February 12, 2012

auscultation

From the Word of the Day:

auscultation - aus·cul·ta·tion [aw-skuhl-tey-shuhn];noun

Medicine/Medical .

1. the act of listening, either directly or through a stethoscope or other instrument, to sounds within the body as a method of diagnosis.

I'm sure this would be a great technique for diagnosing heart or lung problems, perhaps even something to do with the circulatory system,  but since I'm no medical expert, I can't think of any other problems that could be figured out by sound. When my bones creak and pop, I know that's just a sign of old age.

I guess having a chronic gas problem could be diagnosed by sound, but I figure smelling it would be the first clue.

2 comments:

Carolea said...

Thats why they smell so deaf people can enjoy them also. (told to Me by another deaf person)

Mike said...

I've heard that, Carol. I used to date a woman who had a blind brother and he'd always say in farewell "See ya!"

His wife was blind, too and they two kids within a year or so of each other. I always wondered how they managed, but they seemed to do all right when I was around them. I also always wondered how the kids would act when they got older and realized their parents couldn't see them to catch them for a spanking! (Haven't seen them in a long time, so I still wonder)

One time it broke my heart when he was talking about how his wife had gone blind when she was just entering her teens. He was so well-adjusted to his blindness, never seemed bitter, but I could hear the envy in his voice when he said:

"She knows what colors are."

Thanks f/ posting!