Welcome to ToTG!



February 14, 2012

Mystery Ingredient

One of my favorite recipe sites is Recipe Lion. It offers a newsletter, a recipe box to save your favorites in, specialty and holiday recipe collections in downloadable pdf format and many other features.

In today's newsletter, one recipe caught my eye: (because I'm a poor man) Poor Man's Steak. I clicked on the link in the email and went to the site, hoping that it would be a recipe worthy of saving. It seemed easy enough and sounded like it would be a tasty and inexpensive dish to prepare.  I saved the recipe, then had a closer look at the ingredients. Here's what I saw:


One of what? A can of some other soup? A diced onion? The finger you lopped off slicing up the loaf? A mystery ingredient, indeed.

I worry about "mystery ingredients" when I get fast food at places where it looks like just teenagers are working

4 comments:

Barb said...

As long as Hannibal Lector's not in the kitchen I guess you could get creative with that last ingredient. ;-)

sharintexas said...

I couldn't help but think Mother could have taken some "mystery ingredient" and made one of her usual fabulous meals. I can take her recipes and follow them to the letter, but they just don't have the same taste as hers did. Maybe her mystery ingredient was love.

Mike said...

I can't think of anything momma made that wasn't good, sis. I'm sure preparing food for someone you love helps and the food being eaten by those who love you has something to do with it.

They've since fixed the ingredient list. I posted a short question "1 of what?" and no one found it helpful. Guess they thought I was being sarcastic, but someone else posted pretty much the same thing and got one uptick vote. Oh well.

Mike said...

Barb, when I read Hannibal, I found out that brains are a delicate thing to cook. They should be lightly sauteed and from what I've read, they have the consistency of scrambled eggs. Ugh. Still, I'd like to try them.

I bought a tongue once, brought it home, skinned it, parboiled it then sliced thin and fried it. It was great. I'm not much on organ meats, though, although I do get a hankerin' for liver now 'n then.