Welcome to ToTG!



April 27, 2012

nosh

nosh  [nosh]

verb (used without object)
1. to snack or eat between meals.

verb (used with object)
2. to snack on: They noshed peanuts and cookies while watching television.


When I first saw this entry in this blog's Word of the Day feed (in the right-hand column), I had to laugh. It's not a word I would ordinarily use - and it's not one used in the circles I run in - but I do often use it, only no one hears it.

"No one" except the Beej, my old cat-varmint.  He's not the brightest animal I've ever been around and isn't even the smartest cat I've ever owned.  My old B-cat knew several words but he reacted the most to "chicken?" and would go nuts.  I swear, he could smell a pkg. of KFC takeout before I even opened up the car door.  He also knew "bird" and when I'd say it, he'd make that little sound most cats do when they see a bird, along with a quiver of the mouth.

The Beej knows "outside?" and will go to the door if that's where he wants to go and will run into another room if he doesn't want to go out.  He also knows "hungry?" and will go to his food bowl if I say that.  He also knows "nosh" and when I ask "Wouldja like a nosh?", he perks up because he knows he's getting a treat or two from a pkg. of Meow Mix "Ocean Explosion" seafood-flavored treats. 

They're something I've always bought him;  they're only a buck for a pkg. at the dollar store and I've found that it's a good way to get him to eat leftover food in his bowl at which he'd ordinarily turn up his nose.  I just say "Nosh?" and sprinkle a few on the perfectly good cat food - put out only an hour or two before - and he'll finish up the food. (mostly)

The Beej has always been wary of strangers; the first time my British friend Elle came over to see me, he would have nothing to do with her. I gave her a pkg. of the treats and told her to call to him, speaking his name and saying "Nosh?" I watched her coax him to her with the treats, then went to take a shower.  As I left the room, she was petting him and he was content with being fussed over.

About ten minutes later, I was rinsing off when she frantically called through the door "Come here...B's sick!"  I jumped out of the shower, grabbed a towel and went to see what was wrong with my cat.  He had thrown up several times and was at the door, wanting out, still retching.  I went ahead and let him out, then noticed the package of treats laying on the floor.  I picked it up and found it was empty;  she had fed the entire contents to him!

I knew he'd be all right and looking out the door, could see him eating a few blades of grass as cats (and dogs) will often do when their stomach is upset.  I told her she shouldn't feed him more than a few at a time, that they must be very rich. I figured it was probably the same as eating a box of chocolates, a couple of pieces of pie followed by a huge slice of cake washed down by a double milkshake....just too rich for him all at once.

It didn't turn him off the things, though;  he'd still eat the entire pkg. if I fed it to him.

No comments: