Welcome to ToTG!



May 26, 2012

Reading Speed Test

What speed do you read?

Go to the site, click the button "Start Reading" and start reading. (duh) Comprehension figures in too, so try to absorb what the text says, not just zip through the few paragraphs. (like I am prone to do at times on quizzes and tests)

Here's a screen shot of my results:


As you can see, I read 727 wpm, faster than the average college student, high-level executives and college professors, but a little slower than high-scoring college students. (Since I was barely a college student and most definitely not a high-scoring one, that doesn't bother me.)

Still, my score was much, MUCH slower than 4700 wpm, which is how fast the world speed reading champion reads.

Reading Speed Test

2 comments:

Barb said...

I feel like a turtle...my speed was 333 wpm

Mike said...

To be honest, I zipped right through and really guessed at the answers. Since they were multiple choice, I had good odds of getting the right answer. Since I got all 3 comprehensive questions correct, it didn't penalize me. I really don't read that fast - I used to read faster than I do now (although not as fast as my results on this quiz) but sometimes my comprehension suffered.

There are advantages to reading something fast, esp. if you're in a hurry and/or need to get through the material as fast as you can, but reading for enjoyment is something altogether different.

I've noticed my reading time has really slowed down on the quizzes just over the few years we've been doing them. It just takes longer for the question to soak in, I guess.

Thanks f/ posting.