Welcome to ToTG!



May 19, 2012

They're Expensive Hear

I've been using a cheap set of headphones I bought from WalMart to replace another cheap set I bought from Amazon a few years ago, so I thought I might price them again and see if there was one of decent quality that wouldn't cost too much.

These sound OK, but they just don't have the range I'd like.  For one, the bass  level isn't very good.  I've gone into the equalizer and tried to adjust it, but these phones just won't handle it.  They also don't have the volume I want; they're perfectly fine listening to talk radio or most music, but when I play my AC/DC I want it LOUD, y'know? (what's the use of listening to it if it's not played at the intended sound level, nearly enough to bust your eardrums!)

I have some good quality "bud" type phones that give me the volume and sound that I want, but they're uncomfortable and I read something just the other day that said they can give you an infection that can cost you your hearing.  No thanks, if I lose my hearing I want it to be because I played "It's a Long Way to the Top" at too many decibels, not from some eardrum rot.

So, I went to Amazon and typed in "headphones" into the search box, then selected the highest rating,  4 stars and up. I probably shouldn't, but trust most of the reviews there and haven't been steered wrong...yet.

A list of headphones came up, so I clicked on the first one. At the top of the screen were the words "You purchased this item..." and gave a date from a few years ago. They weren't BAD headphones, but they just didn't tolerate me sitting on them or getting up and trying to walk away with them still on my head. The set still works, but only if I hold one of the wires "just so". I don't know why I keep them, but figure they'll be good for something someday - maybe I can fix them or use the jack for something else.

Yeah, right.

I don't remember what I paid for the original headphones, but they were new.  They're not something I would buy used - the thought of putting something on my ears that have been on someone else's grosses me out.  The new price is really reasonable for an inexpensive set of headphones, but I really don't think I want to pay that much for used ones. (click image for larger view)



3 comments:

Barb said...

Maybe the used ones were used by someone famous and would appeal to collectors of ear wax?

sharintexas said...

I have a pair I'll sell you for 1/2 that price! LOL! Nope...I wouldn't want anything like that used either. Do you remember those huge headphones I had back in the 70's? Brad was 3 or 4 then and would put them on and listen to Johnny Cash and Roger Miller. Those headphones would dwarf his little head and make him look like a chipmunk with those chubby cheeks. He'd listen to "I'm Being Swallowed By A Boa Constrictor" time and time again. He'd sing out loud not realizing that we could all hear him. I have a cassette tape that I recorded of him singing that song somewhere. I doubt I have any way to play it now, even if I could find it. I know I have some pictures of him and Gary wearing those great big headphones though.

Laura said...

Too funny! I think you should try selling your old ones on there and just slightly undercut the other guy's price.