Welcome to ToTG!



September 22, 2012

Glory Days

I was moving some files last night and found this little snippet I had created from the digital copy of our 8-man championship game. It was very near the first of the game and we had just thrown an interception. In the first few seconds of the video, you can see me help make the tackle on the guy who had intercepted it. (I don't know why I can't get that little bit off;  I will have to plead ignorance of video editing - this was one of my first attempts)

Besides ticking me off with us losing the ball, I felt as though the momentum of the game might change if they made a big play after the turnover and I was determined to make one of my own.

Here's a screen shot with the arrow pointing towards me. (so you can make out which one I am in the old, grainy video)






















As you'll be able to see, I shucked off a block, then had to take a wide angle to the ball carrier. I wasn't expecting him to be slowed up, plus I had to curve even more on my pursuit in order to dodge one of my own men. I started to hold up for an instant because I thought he was down, then saw he wasn't going to be stopped, so I laid the wood on him.

I know you're probably thinking I'm living in the past and that maybe you've seen a lot better players and both would be true, particularly the latter, but I DID make a great play and help to lift my teammate's spirits. My dad later told me the sound of the collision was like a shotgun blast and that he could "feel the hit' from where he was sitting in the stands.

Anyway, here's about eight seconds of my "glory days".


2 comments:

Laura said...

That's pretty cool that you have video of yourself playing football in high school. I sure wish I understood football better than I do.

Mike said...

Funny story about that video:

I was down in my home town visiting with my best and oldest childhood friend when we started talking about our "glory days" and particularly this game...the farthest our school had ever gone in the playoffs and won.

(at the time, our size school couldn't advance past this round, there were no state playoffs)

I told him the next time he was at the school he should check and see if any of the films were left. We hadn't had many taped, just this one and a few more.

He called me a week or so later and said he had gone into the coach's office to see, not holding out much hope because it had been such a long time. He said the coach looked astonished and pointed to a pile of films sitting on the corner of his desk just above the waste basket. He was just about to kick 'em off into the trash when he took a phone call.

Well, my friend asked if I wanted to watch them, but for some reason I didn't get to go down on the weekend he borrowed an old projector that would play the tapes. I had called a few video places to see how much it would cost to have them converted to disk. I hadn't been online for long and didn't have a lot of money and was astounded to find out it was something like five dollars a minute to have it done.

Long story short, another teammate had it done, and he made copies for several of us. The company had put in some stupid classical music (the music wasn't stupid, just didn't "jive" with the football game. Maybe some hits from that year, but...)

I finally got semi-decent at using a computer and figured out how to burn the CD to digital. I also managed to take off the music and also managed - not so well, as you can see - to get "snippets" from the game. I've uploaded others and will post them when I get around to it.

I know a lot about football, and enough to know I wasn't that good of a football player. -grin-

Thanks f/ posting!