Welcome to ToTG!



October 20, 2012

Big Tex Vex

vex [veks]
verb (used with object)
1. to irritate; annoy; provoke: His noisy neighbors often vexed him.
2. to torment; trouble; distress; plague; worry: Lack of money vexes many.
3. to discuss or debate (a subject, question, etc.) with vigor or at great length: to vex a question endlessly without agreeing.
4. to disturb by motion; stir up; toss about.
5. to afflict with physical pain.


If you're from Texas, you've most likely heard that Big Tex was destroyed by fire the other day. There were quite a few postings about it on Facebook, most lamenting the fire, but there were also some snarky comments.

(most comparing the accident to the ubiquitous fried food served on the midway, some saying it was torched like the Texas defense had been by Oklahoma in last week's annual Cotton Bowl game.  My own favorite was that Big Tex had been sleeping with the Statue of Liberty and she forgot to put her torch out before coming to bed.)


That's OK; even though it was a State Fair icon, I suppose there could be some humor found in the accident. (I'll admit that the photo above is a little funny, what with half of Big Tex's clothes burned away and the cowboy hat being nothing but fire, the goofy fiberglass face framed by the flames) After all, no one was injured and the structure will be repaired in plenty of time for next year's fair. The Amarillo TV station KFDA linked to a story on their website from their Facebook page and there were only a few comments, but one annoyed me to no end...it "vexed" me.

Here's the comment, just as it was written:

i know its been their forever, and so forth,its cost tax payers thousands & thousands of dollars maintaining,painting it,when theirs people living in the streets in down town Dallas & every magor city in this country !! children lay in filth and going to bed hungry !!!! but lest fix a damn 52 ' statchu and start a memoraul for the damn thang,hungry kids living under a bridge will alwas be around !! 

I shouldn't get so angry but the sheer stupidity of the post made me want to write a scathing reply...but I didn't. I understand that I shouldn't get so upset over a comment plus I really don't need to be slamming someone on Facebook, creating drama that could be avoided, but I can't let it go. (It's MY blog and I can rant all I like) Here's what I WOULD have said if I did reply to the ignoramus:

Yes, such a waste. Never mind that it was a main attraction at one of the most successful annual events in Texas and with all things considered, it at least probably paid for itself several times over in good will. The structure didn't cost that much to build and the maintenance costs couldn't have been that much, either. I believe Big Tex's clothes are made and donated by Dickies in exchange for the free advertising. (and for the "bragging rights", always important here in Texas) I expect the annual cleaning bill for the clothing - something like $350 -  was most likely the largest expenditure. 

Instead, we get you whining about it, priceless! Why don't you give up your internet and sell your computer and donate the money to "hungry kids living under a bridge"? I bet you don't even donate a nickel to causes that help the homeless. Good Grief. 

I know one thing: the money spent educating you was a waste. The State Fair should put you on exhibit as a prime example of functional illiteracy.

6 comments:

Barb said...

I don't live in Texas but I think it's sad that it burnt. I love quirky, iconic stuff like that. It's from another time and even if they build a new one it would probably not be the same.

sharintexas said...

I think Barb is right. A new one just won't quite be the same. I'm glad I got to see the original one several times since I've lived in the Dallas area.
You showed good restraint as well as good sense in not answering that fool on Facebook, Michael. People like that never want to try and see any opinion other than their own anyway.

sharintexas said...

I did see something on Facebook that I thought was funny--especially when you think about responding to some idiot.
"Don't try to explain yourself to stupid people.
You're not the Jackass Whisperer!"

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike said...

I was researching the annual maintenance costs and found an article on Daily Kos that said it had been scaring children since it was built.

I hate that website but started to register so I could reply. First place, I don't think it scares kids. I've never heard that, but then again, maybe Texas kids are built from sterner stuff than most. Maybe it's just progressive's kids that are scared of things like that, along with being afraid of guns, the Tea Party and freedom.

Mike said...

"Don't try to explain yourself to stupid people."

Just now figuring that out, sis.