Welcome to ToTG!



November 22, 2012

agape

From the Word of the Day:

agape \ah-GAH-pey\ , noun:
1. Unselfish love of one person for another without sexual implications.
2. The love of Christians for other persons, corresponding to the love of God for humankind.

When I first saw this word in the Word of the Day module, I immediately thought of this definition:

agape a·gape [uh-geyp, uh-gap] adverb, adjective
1. with the mouth wide open, as in wonder, surprise, or eagerness: We stood there agape at the splendor.
2. wide open: his mouth agape

Both definitions: agape

Normally, this would be where I'd insert some snarky comment or try a feeble attempt at humor with the word, but I just don't feel like it today. It makes me sad that we consider the U.S. to be a Christian nation, but in most respects we are not. We export war to all corners of the globe, for one, and when we try to combat evil, we wind up killing innocents. Surely there's some better way to spread freedom throughout the world.

Even our attempts to take care of the poor and less fortunate are filled with fraud and waste, futilely throwing money at the problems in hopes they'll go away.

I love my country, but want it to ACT like a Christian nation, not just give the title lip service. 

My mouth is agape at the lack of agape. -sigh-

No comments: