Welcome to ToTG!



March 14, 2013

There Are No Stupid Questions

I've heard that all my life, but earlier today on Facebook, I saw these questions posed by someone who was trying to be clever.  I decided I'd answer them.

If Mars had earthquakes would they be called marsquakes?

Yes, Wikipedia has an entry: Marsquake. Don't trust Wiki? Check out this article on the respected Space.com: Marsquakes: Red Planet May Still Rumble. It was even in the news a few months back: NASA wants to measure 'Marsquakes'

When lightening strikes the ocean, why don’t all the fish die?

First, it's spelled "lightning" and if fish were in the immediate vicinity of a lightning strike, they'd probably die, but fortunately for marine life, the electrical current spreads out and dissipates until it becomes too weak to do any harm.

How far away from the immediate strike do fish still die?  Ewen Thomson, an electrical engineer at the University of Florida says the "lethal distance,"  depends on (1) how much current there is in a lightning bolt and (2) how much current it takes to electrocute a fish. Ichthyologists (fish biologists) sometimes catch fish to study by zapping them with electricity. The best estimates are that lightning bolts probably don't kill fish more than 200 feet away in salt water, even less distance in fresh water. (because salt water conducts electricity better)

If there’s a speed of light and a speed of sound, is there a speed of smell?

The speed of an odor from source to the time your brain registers it depends upon the air currents and your own neural impulses.  So, there's no set speed of smell.

Can you cry underwater?

Of course you can.  The tears will rapidly dissolve into the surrounding water, but tears can be leaving the tear duct.  If you're wearing a mask, then it's feasible that you could cry enough to fill it up.  Doubtful, but feasible.  If you are in that much pain or having that much grief underwater, it's probably best to get to the surface ASAP...unless you're TRYING to drown yourself, then....

Does the postman deliver his own mail?

If his house is on his route he would.  Why wouldn't he? (or she - the proper term now is "letter carrier")  I was friends with my regular letter carrier and he told me routes are often rotated amongst all of them, with the more senior carriers getting their choice of the best routes. 

That said, I went to both the official USPS website as well as the one for the letter carrier's union and couldn't find anything.  I did see a phone number, so I dialed it and after FINALLY being transferred to a human, I asked the question.  She was taken aback and then looked through all of her "pat answers" and found nothing, but agreed with me there didn't seem to be any rules or regulations against it.  We both didn't think a carrier would be dispatched ONLY to deliver another carrier's mail.

Why is there a light in the refrigerator and not in the freezer?

The newer "side by side" fridges do have lights in both compartments.  Back in the days before the advent of LED lights and frost-free freezers, putting a light into the freezer compartment was an engineering challenge. An incandescent light globe in the freezer will generate heat while the door is open, and will be covered in frost soon after the door is closed.  The sudden temperature change and moisture could cause the bulb to shatter when the door is opened again.  In my search for the answer, I found several sites that sell add-on lights for freezers without lights.

Can crop circles be square?

If something is square, it can't be a circle, but there ARE squares that have been found inside the "mysterious" crop circles.   Google "crop circles with squares" images and you'll see them with not only squares, but triangles and other non-circle geometric shapes inside them.

Are eyebrows considered facial hair?

Eyebrows are on your face, therefore by definition they ARE facial hair. 

Is there ever a day mattresses aren’t on sale?

Well, the seemingly continuous sales aside, the answer has to be "Yes", simply due to the fact that most mattress stores aren't open every day.  Most are closed on Sundays and nearly all are closed on major holidays.  They can't have a sale if they're not open. Every store I've ever been to has sales on merchandise, even item specific businesses;   for example, tire stores have sales on the products that aren't selling well or tires they've got a deal on for buying in bulk and can offer them at a discount to their customers.  The same is true for places that sell stationery, liquor stores, clothing shops, etc.  

From my own short time spent working in a furniture store, I learned that mattresses have a huge mark-up in price and a "sale" might only mean the product is "marked down" to the store's regular profit margin.  Just a trick of the trade, used in many other businesses.  Other than that sneaky tactic, it's hard to begrudge them a good profit because a mattress store can have quite a bit of money tied up in inventory, what with different brands, styles, sizes, etc.  Also, if a customer buys a mattress, they probably won't be back for a replacement for at least four/five years or longer.

How come lemon washing up liquid contains real lemons but lemon juice has artificial flavorings?

The stupidest question of a stupid bunch.  How can a real lemon have artificial flavorings?

What's really stupid was me spending any amount of time finding the answers to these stupid questions.

3 comments:

Barb said...

You should publish that. It's clever without being too snarky and it's a good read.

Mike said...

Thanks, Barb. It just annoyed me a little bit because it was meant to be cutesy and failed. I wanted to be snarkier than I was, but it took me a couple of hours to research all that, at least finding reputable sources and not just answers in Yahoo Answers or in some message board.

To be honest, it caught me in a bad mood. Google just announced they were doing away w/ Reader in a few months and then I find my AdBlock Plus no longer works on YouTube (also owned by Google) They've been doing away with so much stuff here lately, I'm wondering what is next. I don't think Gmail will be on the chopping block because they do insert ads (that I don't see b/c of AdBlock) but am really fearful that Blogger will bite the dust when they figure out it doesn't make them money or it's not worth developing. I know one thing, I will never use the G+ and if they DO do away w/ Blogger, I'll use anything BUT Google services. I've managed to avoid most MSN sites and services since they put the halt to Groups.

Mike said...

The list of questions meant to be cutesy...not my answers. I hate cutesy.