Welcome to ToTG!



July 17, 2013

Devils Tower

Earlier I had written about Bing and their fantastic, changing daily page (see post just under this one) and was pleased to see Devils Tower as today's theme.

If you're a movie fan, you'll immediately recognize it as the geological feature which is prominently featured throughout Close Encounters of the Third Kind, one of my favorite flicks.

Here's a montage of most of the scenes from the movie with Devils Tower in them...or recreations of same, painted in water color, modeled in dirt and chicken wire, even sculpted in mashed potatoes!



There's not that many places in the world I want to see before I die, but Devils Tower is on my bucket list. I'd love to include it in a tour of that part of the country, also visiting Mount Rushmore, Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument (Custer's Last Stand)and Yellowstone National Park.

2 comments:

Barb said...

Couple of years ago we took a family vacation that included a few days visit to Gettysburg PA. I could have stayed a week. It was amazing to walk and climb though the landscape and imagine how it must have been. All the memorials and statues are mesmerizing to read. For me it was very emotional visiting such a place. Your comment about visiting the site of The Little Big Horn made me think of my visit to Gettysburg.

Mike said...

I'd like to tour some of the Civil War battlefields.

The second time Elle came over to visit, I was running out of places to take her. (at least those that were close by) I hadn't been in years, so we went over to Cheyenne, OK, just across the state line. (It also served the purpose of letting her say she'd been to Oklahoma) On the way I saw a drilling rig and we stopped to "tour" it, she was impressed because they were tripping out of the hole. "Blimey, that looks dangerous!"

Anyway, we went on to Cheyenne, went to the Black Kettle Museum then stopped at the site of the Battle of Washita River where Custer's troops attacked an Indian winter camp in 1868. Historians disagree whether it was a victory for U.S. troops or a massacre against peaceful (at the time) Indians.

There's not a lot there, just the former campsite along a creek and a monument and map. It was terribly cold that day w/ the wind blowing and we didn't hang around long. The previous (and next time) she had visited was during August and it was hot-hot-hot and she loved the heat. The last time she visited was at the end of August 2001 and she wanted to stay a week or two longer but had to get back home. It was good she had to leave, looking back, because if she had stayed another two weeks she might have been grounded in the U.S. for another couple of weeks after that because of 9/11.