Welcome to ToTG!



July 3, 2013

Great on Beef!

Did you know the horseradish capital of the world is Collinsville, Illinois? The small town in southern Illinois produces 60% of the world's supply.

This is my favorite store-bought brand (made-from-scratch is the best!) and I not only love it on a nice slab of prime rib, but also on cheap sardines.  That, and some pickled okra with cheese crackers washed down with a good Chinese beer used to be one of my favorite late night snacks.


I don't eat that very often these days, but oddly enough, the strange dreams I had on those nights have also stopped.

Collinsville is also known for the tallest catsup bottle in the world.

3 comments:

Barb said...

My 85 year old Uncle grows and grinds his own horseradish. Then a few of us "favored" nieces and nephews get a small jar to cook with.
I'm going to have to plant some of his root here at my place so the tradition never dies out.
And you're right Mike, it can turn a steak or prime rib dinner into heaven on a plate.

Mike said...

That's cool about keeping up the tradition; I'm ashamed I let my grandparent's grape vines die, along w/ the cherry and apricot trees. Disease got the latter, no watering got the former.

I distinctly remember the first time I ever had prime rib; was with my in-laws at a place in Dallas made from old railroad cars/cabooses. I was floored at the prices and tried to order a ten dollar hamburger (and this was in the late 70's!) but my DIL insisted I get the prime rib.

It was SO good, just barely med. rare. I don't think I had ever had horseradish before and after the initial sinus-clearing taste, fell in love w/ it.

The thing I remember most is my father-in-law leaving something like a $30 tip and hoping they wouldn't be annoyed w/ him. (about four hours wages for me at the time, even roughnecking) That was when 10% was enough, but my bro-in-law had been a PITA to the waitress, so I guess he was trying to make up f/ that.

Barb said...

lol @ the sinus clearing effect of horse radish. I think the fact that the heat and affect are fleeting is what I love about horse radish. I really enjoy hot/spicy food but some of the dishes that use really hot peppers don't let me enjoy the food. The heat just builds and builds and you end up not tasting the food it's paired with.