Welcome to ToTG!



July 20, 2013

Streetside Classics



I've found a new favorite website;  it's Streetside Classics. According to the site, they're the "nation's top consignment dealer of classic and collectible cars" and they wouldn't get an argument from me. With dealers in Charlotte, Atlanta and Dallas/Fort Worth, they have a huge selection to peruse. They also have a YouTube channel, but most of their listing's videos can also be viewed on the site. Each listing also has a full set of detailed photos.

Navigation is fairly easy on the website;  personally, I click on "New Arrivals" because I've pretty much explored every other listing.  If you're wanting to see if there's a particular model, the Quick Search drop-down menu has plenty of options.  If you're looking for - say - a '57 Chevy, that's easy enough to find. (and they're really expensive now- when I was a kid, you could buy one of those for a few hundred bucks.  One fully restored now can set you back in the neighborhood of $80k+) You can also input any range of years, which showroom and price from high to low and vice versa.

While they have all types of cars for sale at their three locations, the videos are similar and all that I've seen have been in HD. The soundtracks differ, from an appropriate generic heavy metal tune for the muscle cars, to a jazz accompaniment for the really slick and sexy vehicles, to a more "bluesy" type sound for the classics. (although I have heard some mainstream tunes used in the videos, such as AC/DC for this older listing of a  1954 Chevrolet Pickup) The format for the videos is basically the same, with a pan and scan of all sides, the trunk,  then shots of the interior from different angles and of the engine compartment. All the ones I've viewed end with the music stopping, someone starting the vehicle and revving the motor, then slowly driving by the camera and away to be parked with other great looking vehicles.

Here's a car I drooled over when I was in high school, a 1972 Dodge Challenger. (the closest thing to it I ever considered buying could afford was a '67 Barracuda, but wound up with a '67 Fairlane)  It makes me a little sad to think that a car from my youth is now considered a classic...and more than a little sad to see that it's in a lot better shape than I am. (I'm sure the restoration on it didn't cost as much as the one which would be required to get ME back in tip-top shape)



Not every vehicle is of the high-dollar variety, witnessed by this 1962 Ford Galaxie 500 Mayberry Tribute Replica going for $12,995. I would love to have that car to tool around town in. (although I'm not sure who I would be when I drove it around - Sheriff Andy or Deputy Fife)

The other day I went through the newest listings picking out the cars/trucks I'd love to own.  I kept a "running total" of the cost and then went out and bought a lottery ticket.  I'll have to win the lotto in order to afford the vehicles I want...unless someone wants to loan give me a half-million bucks?


2 comments:

Carolea said...

I love old cars. I have some wish lists also. Don't drive but.....

Mike said...

I really like to look at them, even if I know I'll probably never get to own one. I was sort of joking about wanting all those vehicles...in a way. I'd love to have an old roadster for a Sunday drive, but I would never take it to go get groceries and leave it alone; there are far too many a-holes that would key it or puncture a tire just because they themselves couldn't own one.

If I was super-rich? Sure, I'd love to have a fleet of several dozen classic cars, but then again, you can only drive one car at a time. It's fun to look at old cars, but that'd get old and I'd want to drive them and sure 'nuff, just my luck, something would happen to it.

Thanks f/ posting!