Welcome to ToTG!



July 18, 2013

Topical Typing Trivia

Today is my h.s. typing/business teacher's birthday and in honor of her, here's this bit of trivia.
typewriter


From The Old Farmer's Almanac:

What is the fastest speed on record (words per minute) for typing text?

There are three different words per minute (wpm) records -- for the manual typewriter, the electric typewriter, and the personal computer keyboard. On a manual typewriter, the world record is 176 wpm, and on an electric typewriter it is 216. In an official test in 1991, Gregory Arakelian of Virginia set the personal computer record with 158 wpm.


Sure beats my puny 54 WPM
.

2 comments:

Barb said...

My average is around 65. Colleen Fancies herself as a budding novelist and asked for a manual typewriter for Christmas. I found a decent one in working order off ebay and she loves it. It was fun teaching her how to work it.

Mike said...

I bought one a few yrs. ago at a garage sale, then decided I didn't want it and couldn't even give it away at my own garage sale.

Back in the late 80's, I was thinking about trying to write a book and looked at some word processors but I had been around a computer at a place I worked at and decided I'd rather have one of those. Of course, the cheapest ones at that time were a thousand bucks or more and by then I couldn't afford the cheaper word processors I had looked at.

Gosh, I'd hate to have to try to use a typewriter like the one I learned on, an old Royal that prob. wasn't much younger than me. We had two IMB electric (Selectrics?) and each of us in the class got to use one for one week. My WPM sure went up using one of those, way up from the 30 WMP I avg. w/ the old manuals. I don't think my old fingers could handle typing on one of those, they'd prob. crumble to dust.