Welcome to ToTG!



December 11, 2013

I'm Ashamed To Be a Fan

I saw that posted on the Facebook and other Dallas Cowboy fan sites today after the blowout loss by the 'Boys Monday night against "da Bears".  I also saw "I'm embarrassed by them!"

I was disappointed, sure; a win would have kept them tied with the Eagles at the top of the division, but embarrassed?  Ashamed?  No, of course not.  I slept like a baby last night and only got annoyed today when turning to a sports show on TV or on the radio where I had to watch/listen to so-called experts who list all the things wrong with the team or what they would have done differently. 

Sure, it's easy to look back with 20-20 hindsight and say what should have been done, but if they're so smart, then why are they not coaching an NFL team instead of calling in to a radio or TV show (or hosting one) and griping? It's one thing to have a former player or coach critique the team's play, but for some schmuck on the couch to pretend to be an expert...well, that's too much.  Those armchair quarterbacks upset me more than how the Cowboys play.

Look, if you're ashamed of your team, then maybe it's time to root for another one;  I know I would.  Then again, I know I have absolutely nothing to do with the Cowboy's success OR failure.  Wearing a Dallas jersey and screaming at the TV doesn't help, no matter how loud you yell.

Embarrassed by the team?  Not me;  I get embarrassed when I accidentally pull out in front of someone while driving, or look down after I've been into a half dozen public places and see that my fly is unzipped.  (so THAT'S why people were giggling!) If you're embarrassed by one or more of your friends - who root for other teams - making fun of your team...well then, you really need new friends.  Both your and their priorities are in the wrong place.

I used to get upset when I was a kid and Dallas would lose...then again, I was 12 yrs. old and they were an important part of my life - along with many other things I now wonder why I set so much store in when I was that age.  I was immature, and I think that's the problem with a lot of these "ashamed" and "embarrassed" fans. 

Grow up.  It's just a game.  At the end of the season, only one team's fans will be happy, that's the way it works.   If you really want to be upset by games, then watch C-Span and the games our politicians play.  Now THAT'S something that should make you embarrassed and ashamed.

1 comment:

Carolea said...

I enjoyed reading this. I understand how You feel. I can amuse Myself for hours by making snarky replys to others. Just in My mind tho!