Welcome to ToTG!



March 11, 2014

Resurrecting Old Wounds

The 404 post (just below this one) I made was about trying to watch the premiere episode of Resurrection. From Wiki:

The series follows the residents of Arcadia, Missouri, whose lives are upended when their loved ones return from the dead, unaged since their deaths. Among the returned is Jacob Langston, an eight-year-old boy who drowned 32 years earlier. Having somehow been found alive in China, he is brought back to America by an immigration agent. His surprise return inspires the local sheriff, whose wife presumably drowned trying to rescue Jacob, to learn more about this mystery.

The premise sounded interesting and I thought it might be something that, if done well, would be worth putting the show on my fairly small list of TV shows to watch.  As I said in the 404 post, I was having problems finding it;  it's an ABC show and hadn't yet been posted on the network's website  (as of last night, but it's there now) but I did manage to find it on Hulu and will watch it later.

My "problems" finding the show isn't the reason for this post, however;  I was scrolling through my Facebook pages feed earlier today and one of them had a post about the show. (I'd link to it, but it must have been taken down because I cannot find it now) The post about the show just mentioned it and asked if anyone had seen it, but it unleashed a firestorm of comments.  Some were saying they were tired of supernatural shows about witches/demons/vampires, etc., the ubiquitous objections on religious grounds, but quite a few comments were about the insensitivity of the network for airing such a show because of people who had lost children.

(Personally, I'm offended by TV news with the slant given to it by the talking heads reading it, people who may have graduated college but are really just educated idiots blinded by ideology. That's why I don't watch TV news and don't see any reason to bitch about it on message boards or on Facebook)

God bless those who have lost a child;  my own mother always said she couldn't imagine it and one of her biggest fears was outliving one of her children.  I understand how someone could be saddened by such a show, but OTOH, I don't see why someone would subject themselves to such added misery by watching it.  It's hard for me to accurately express how I feel about this without coming across as an insensitive bastard, but I don't understand how ranting about it on Facebook is going to do any good for anyone. I'd think doing that would do nothing but to bring on more grief.

Anyway, here's the trailer in case you're interested. (and don't want to watch the entire episode at the links I posted above)  Watch it, and let me know what you think, if you think it's too insensitive of the network to air such a show.


6 comments:

Barb said...

Interesting premise for a show. Sometimes folks who post on social media and such are just looking for way to stir the pot. Others just like to complain about anything and everything. I agree with you that most folks who would be sensitive to the subject matter would probably just not tune in. Heck,with the difficulty you had in just finding it I doubt someone would just unknowingly stumble upon it.

Mike said...

I agree about people just stirring the pot; when I first got online, I read a statistic that claimed well over half the people posting about themselves were lying, even if it was just something simple, such as they didn't have the job they claimed.

I rambled on w/ my post a little more than I wanted to, but meant to bring up the Taco Bell advert from a decade or so ago, the one w/ the basketball player Shaq saying he got "taco neck" from tilting his head b/c he ate so many tacos. I don't remember the actual physical affliction, but there IS something that makes people have a permanent tilt to their neck and they raised such hell the company dropped the ads, losing a bunch of money from the campaign.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if this show offends people that much, then they should try to get it taken off the air. I wouldn't like that, but it's certainly their right...but just griping about it on Facebook isn't going to do much. Oh, I guess they could create a page in support of the boycott/ban, but....

I was trying to think of some analogy using some minute percentage of the population who get offended at something and want it changed, but can't. (don't want to use gay marriage, b/c that seems to be more of a Constitutional issue of equal rights and not appropriate to this relatively insignificant issue) Probably, it would be better to compare it to men wanting to be Hooters waitresses; there can't be that many that want to do that and the only reason they're doing it is to rock the boat. Anyway....

I have a lot of sympathy for people who have lost their children, but where does the concern end? What about medical shows; my own mother died b/c of malpractice, but I'm not offended by those shows w/ a similar plot. Again, I'm not explaining myself all that well, but no matter what anyone says, no matter what sort of movie or TV program is about, there's bound to be someone offended by it. Sometimes it's a tyranny of the minority.

I really thought those taco neck commercials were funny, even after I found out there were people who had spinal problems. I guess maybe I AM an insensitive bastard. -sigh-

Barb said...

Nar, I think sometimes people are too thin skinned. I remember a super bowl commercial that go yanked. I think it was for snickers. Two guys working on a car, both get hungry, one pulls out a single snickers bar. They both start munching from either end, so enraptured by the purported deliciousness that they don't notice the other until meet in the middle. Their eyes meet; there is that pregnant pause, loaded with innuendo. Then one says, "Quick, do something manly!" and the other one starts ripping out chest hair.
I actually thought it was funny. They came off as a couple of dufuses, not as a couple of guys actually supporting homophobic behavior.

Carolea said...

I LOVE the way Barb says Nar! I do agree some people will hollor just to hollor. If something offends Me I just don't watch. Not that fond of vampires and so on but Valerie loves them, She also loves true crime, go figure!

Alison said...

Just getting back to this post as the first time I read it I had not seen the series, well by chance one night the repeat of the first episode was on when we were watching the box and Chester and I really enjoyed it , it kept us interested and in parts kind of gave me goosebumps, I can imagine it may be a little sad for people who have lost a child ,but then again they would just choose to not view it again , there has to be something for everyone on the Television and its not often I can get interested so much in many programmes to want to watch it eagerly ,but I must say this got me , we have watched the episodes since then and still enjoying it , as for the critics , there will always be many ,as you say its their right to have opinions , but griping on about it ,suppose we have to just try and ignore them and save ourselves from HBP giving them attention .

Mike said...

That's right Alison, there is such a thing as changing the channel- I do it all the time.

There's always *some* issue that pushes people's buttons - just today on Facebook, I saw page posts about e-cigs being banned on a local college campus, another about a company challenging that they have to provide insurance that covers the morning-after pill and another about sometimes feeding chickens cat food. All of the discussions got heated, was really silly to get so worked up over something like that.

Resurrection comes on Sunday nights on ABC 8/9C, BTW. I nabbed the last episode and plan on catching up on the rest when I can.

Thanks to all f/ posting!