Welcome to ToTG!



April 8, 2014

ACME Planimeter

ACME Planimeter has got to be one of the best online web tools I've ever used.  I love to look at real estate ads, then find them on Google Earth or Bing Maps, but the Google Earth measuring tool has limitations - at least in the free version I use - in that I can use it to outline the dimensions of the property, but then have to use my calculator or an online acreage calculator to figure out the total area.  That takes time and often isn't all that accurate, the cause of which is not completely my incompetence.

Well, I want to believe that, anyway.

Here's the outline of a property I'd love to own near Quitman, Texas. (home town of Sissy Spacek) The listing says it's 50 acres and using the ACME Planimeter gives the exact same figure.


It's really easy to use. From the website:

Drag the map with your mouse, or double-click to center.
Click on the map to place points.
The enclosed area is shown below.

The page remembers your most recent position/zoom/map-type for the next time you visit. If you haven't visited before, it tries to figure out your location based on your internet address. The area computation is done using spherical geometry, so it's correct for large regions.



2 comments:

Barb said...

Going to have to play with that. It might be something my Landscape Design students might find useful too.

Mike said...

I did it on another, larger listing I've dreamed about owning and it was very accurate on that 1702 acre property with zigs and zags border.

Like I said, I could easily figure out a square or rectangle property but if there were five or more sides to the border, it didn't computer using a standard formula.

The "funny" thing was I've had a few email exchanges w/ the real estate agent and mentioned that the pond size wasn't 3.5 acres as stated in the listing, but closer to 2.5. He replied that it depended upon the time of the year/dry season, but the Google Earth view was what I went by and he sent me the link to the online measuring tool...but it bore out my original calculation.