Welcome to ToTG!



May 9, 2014

Chinese TV Dinners

I'm not sure how long my favorite supermarket has carried them, but I recently discovered Tai Pei frozen dinners. My favorites are Beef & Broccoli, Pepper Beef, and the Combination and Chicken Fried Rice varieties.  I've also had their egg rolls, but there are only three small ones in a box.

TV dinners sure have come a long way, especially Chinese food. I wouldn't have bought these, thinking of bad experiences from years ago, but Tai Pei was on sale, 2/$4 and I bought just one, thinking I wouldn't be losing much by trying it.  I've really been craving Chinese food, particularly rice...and that's one of the things that really raises my blood sugar. -sigh-

So, I put it in my shopping cart and brought it home, popped it in the microwave and less than ten minutes later (cook and resting time), I was munching down on some pretty darn good Chinese food.  It was just enough to satisfy me and not so much I went into a carbohydrate near-coma.

Plus, I wasn't hungry again 30 minutes later!

I wholeheartedly endorse this product!

3 comments:

sharintexas said...

I'm not a big Chinese food lover, but they had samples of these plus coupons in Walmart a few weeks ago. Like you I bought a couple thinking it wouldn't be too expensive a venture. I was pleasantly surprised at the flavor and how much foot was packed in that little box. I doubt they become a staple in my freezer, but it's nice to know that I can have access to something when I get the craving for Chinese food. I wish they had samples of lots more food in the stores. There are things I might buy if I knew that I would like them. Food is just too expensive to be trying and then possibly throwing away.

Mike said...

My trouble with them is that I like to put either soy or duck sauce on it, and that adds sodium or sugar/carbs that it already had plenty of.

I get my rice fix sometimes w/ "souper rice", either a can of condensed soup like mushroom and a can of rice w/ tuna or I use cream of chicken w/ a can of chicken. Lot of carbs, but it satisfies my craving for a while.

I miss my usual Sat. night Chinese food splurge at the lamplighter; I'd get three different entrees, but it was good for two meals.

Mike said...

There's another brand that's right next to the Tai Pei, forget the name of them but they're in white plastic cartons and are a little more expensive.

Chinese is my ethnic favorite- the number has changed now 'n then, but I believe there's four Chinese restaurants in town at this point in time - I don't think there's any more Mexican food places here, but there are a few trucks that sell food, so I guess they count.

I used to could buy those three entrees: moo goo gai pan, beef and broccoli and either chicken fried rice or sweet 'n sour chicken, all for around 12 bucks...now it's close to 20 or over.

The thing I really miss is not having a real diner here in town like Patrick's or Condo's or the place that was across from the liquor store f/ a while in the old hairdressing school building. Canned corn, instant potatoes, some cheap meat dish like meat loaf or chicken fried steak and a desert and tea for just a few bucks...but it was edible and tasty, if not gourmet, just good solid food that filled you up.

I'm sure restaurants will be feeling the pain what w/ food prices going up.

I meant to add, too: it annoys the heck outta me to waste food. I had some turkey lunch meat that felt a little slimy, I'm sure it was good but at least I got to feed it to the outside cats instead of chucking it. I bought a brand new jar of mayo the other day, made a sandwich and forgot and left it on top of the counter until the next day. It was cool in the kitchen, but it's less costlier throwing something away than having food poisoning. I've done that several times w/ the exact same thing.