Welcome to ToTG!



May 6, 2014

coterie

coterie co·te·rie [koh-tuh-ree] noun

1. a group of people who associate closely.
2. an exclusive group; clique.
3. a group of prairie dogs occupying a communal burrow.


I've seen loads of prairie dog towns, but never heard them called a coterie. I've also been around people who acted like adult life was like it was back in high school, with groups of kids forming cliques.* I went to a small town school, so thank goodness there weren't that many cliques, but there were the outliers, the kids who just didn't fit in. I felt like I was on the cusp of both groups, the "in crowd" and the "outsiders". It didn't scar me for life or anything like that, though and if I had it all to do over again, don't think I would have changed a thing...at least not socially.

*Since I've been online I've joined and participated in quite a few message boards and forums and I've found there are cliques in those, too.   They're usually split along political lines, though.  I'm often on the cusp of both those groups, too...not socially conservative enough to be accepted totally by that side and not nearly liberal enough to be accepted by that one, either.  Just like back in school, I'm not much bothered by being on the cusp of both sides.  I'm content with my political views....mainly because they're the best ones. -grin-

No comments: