Welcome to ToTG!



August 8, 2014

klatsch



klatsch [klahch, klach] noun

a casual gathering of people, especially for refreshments and informal conversation: a sewing klatsch.



This is a word I knew; the times I've seen it, it's almost always been used referring to neighborhood housewives gathering together in the mornings after their husbands have gone to work and their children are off at school, a "coffee klatsch" . It also comes to mind when I see groups of older men who congregate in various restaurants around town.

I reckon there's more gossip going on in the latter.

4 comments:

sharintexas said...

I agree, Mike. My ex-father in law was one of those guys who hung around the drug store/gas station/restaurant with all the other older men. He always knew more gossip than any woman I ever met!

Mike said...

There used to be a lot of older men who used the United deli eating area for their get-togethers. A lot of them drove their motorcycles and parked them just outside and I'd stop and look at them when I was going in to get groceries. I never touched the bikes, but one time an old man rapped on the window and waved me off, shooing me away. I flipped him off, I wasn't hurting anything.

sharintexas said...

Old men are cranky. You'll know soon enough! LOL!!

Mike said...

Oh, I've been old a long time and cranky for even longer.

I don't mess w/ people and expect the same from them.