Welcome to ToTG!



September 21, 2014

The Cowboys Are Making Me Angry!

Well, not the team, but the Dallas Cowboy website. (I don't get angry at how the 'Boys play; I used to get furious but these days I don't let it bother me, at least not for long. That's why there's a switch or button to turn the channel or station to something else or just turn the game off.)

Here's the reason I'm annoyed; I have a couple of add-ons on my Firefox browser: AdBlock Edge and Disconnect. The AdBlock Edge lets me block most ads on sites I visit and the Disconnect does just that, disconnects from social media and other things.

I had to "cut" the following graphic in half, then "stitch" back together in order to fit it in this post. It takes up the entire top part of the screen when I visit the DC website. (click any image for larger view)


The thing is, I DO have my adblocker turned off:


And, as you can see, I've also "whitelisted" the site on the Disconnect add-on:



Now, I know many websites rely upon advertising revenue in order to stay online and to remain free to the viewer. However, I doubt the Cowboys are relying on the revenue stream in order to keep the website up. -snicker-

I wouldn't have any ethical problems blocking the ads but I can't view any of the videos onsite unless I DO disable my add-ons; there's always an advertisement at the first of each and every video and if they're blocked, the video won't load. I don't watch all the videos there, but I do like to watch The Break and Talkin' Cowboys. For a while, I was just downloading the audio portion and listening to it later, but there are times when I want to watch and listen to the show live. I've never called in, but I might want to or send an email in hopes they'll read and answer it during the show.

So, what really annoys me is that they detect I have adblocking add-ons and chastise me for it....even if I have them disabled!  I used to have another add-on that would do away with those "nags" but it quit working several browser updates ago.  I COULD block the nag with my adblocker, but I'd be right back to not being able to view the videos.  It's a Catch-22 situation.

Catch-22, not this 22, Emmitt Smith.  He was hard to catch.


No comments: